Daryl Murphy returns to fitness ahead of Rotherham trip
Ipswich Town will have Daryl Murphy – the Championship’s 18-goal leading scorer – available for Saturday’s match at Rotherham.
The Irish striker sat out last weekend’s turgid goalless home draw with Wigan, but is fit again following a calf strain.
“He’s fine,” said Blues boss Mick McCarthy. “He trained today, no problems – he’s good to go.
“I got all the questions last week ‘did we miss him?’ I’m always a bit loathed to say you miss players, because you have a squad and others players come in, but if you’ve got the leading goalscorer in the league then you want them available.”
Meanwhile, midfielder Luke Hyam and keeper Dean Gerken are progressing well with their injury rehabs.
You may also want to watch:
“I keep going to see Luke,” said McCarthy. “If he can use one word instead of two then he will! I try and chat to him, you say ‘hello Luke’ and he’s gone! I captured him today while he was on the physio bed though.
“It was a nasty injury, he strained his medial ligament, but he’s progressing and will hopefully be back within the time frame of six weeks we initially set.
- 1 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 2 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
- 3 Matchday Recap: Goalless again in first game of a new era at Town
- 4 Murder suspect arrested after woman found dead at country park
- 5 Driver goes to court over speed camera calibration dispute
- 6 Giant Noah's Ark stuck on Ipswich Waterfront
- 7 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 8 Plans for 170 homes in village outside of Ipswich
- 9 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 10 Managing director of popular zoos steps down after 28 years
“Gerks has been training but is not yet kicking a ball because that was his hip flexor. He’s back out there though and progressing nicely.”
– See tomorrow’s EADT and Ipswich Star for all the latest Blues news.