David McGoldrick, Christophe Berra, Jonny Williams and Tom Lawrence named in Republic of Ireland, Scotland and Wales squads
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Ipswich Town’s fit-again duo of David McGoldrick and Jonny Williams have been named in the Republic of Ireland and Wales squads respectively for next month’s World Cup qualifiers.
McGoldrick is in the provisional 35-man Republic of Ireland squad for their game against Austria, in Vienna, on Saturday, November 12.
The striker, who has previously won four caps, missed out on a place at Euro 2016 having been named in the provisional squad for their pre-tournament friendlies.
It’s been an injury-ravaged two years for the 28-year-old. Since tearing his hamstring in a 2-0 defeat at Rotherham on Februry 7, 2015, he has started just 14 out of a possible 86 games. His latest comeback, from an ankle injury sustained in the League Cup defeat to Stevenage back in August, saw him last the full match and score an impressive last-gasp equaliser in last Saturday’s 2-2 home draw with Rotherham.
Williams and Lawrence are in the 23-man Wales squad which will face Serbia at the Cardiff City Stadium on Saturday, November 12.
You may also want to watch:
Creative midfielder Williams impressed for Wales as they reached the semi-finals of the Euros this summer, starting one game and having an impact as a sub in three other matches. Altogether he made 34 appearances in 2015/16 – spending the first half of the season on loan at Nottingham Forest and the second half at MK Dons – but, not for the first time in his career, was left sidelined by a hard-hitting challenge when playing for parent club Crystal Palace at non-league outfit Farnborough in pre-season.
Blues boss Mick McCarthy decided to bring him back to Portman Road for a fourth spell anyway, signing him on a season-long loan, and the 23-year-old has made three substitute appearances for the first team since returning to action.
- 1 Photos of suspected stolen dogs released in bid to find owners
- 2 Theft of historic Royal Mail post boxes 'a worrying trend'
- 3 'We can look forward to the transfer window' - Cook on summer plans
- 4 Driver arrested after 12-year-old boy 'seriously injured' in crash
- 5 Isaacs call police after quayside drinkers cause chaos outside bar
- 6 Dog walker in his 60s assaulted at Stour Valley beauty spot
- 7 Retailer to pay £60K after multiple food hygiene breaches in Sudbury store
- 8 'Has to go' - Town fans on Chambers' future, play-off hopes and who they want to see play
- 9 Man in hospital with head injury after late night assault
- 10 Stephen Ward on play-offs belief, Cook's criticism and his future
Williams, who has 17 caps to his name, is joined in the squad by Town team-mate Lawrence. The 22-year-old attacking midfielder, on loan from Leicester for the season, has previously won four caps.
Meanwhile, 33-cap centre-back Christophe Berra, 31, is in the Scotland squad that will face England at Wembley on November 11,