Skuse a doubt for Brentford as McCarthy reveals McGoldrick could return this season
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Cole Skuse is a doubt for Ipswich Town’s trip to Brentford this weekend, while manager Mick McCarthy has also revealed David McGoldrick could play again this season.
Skuse was replaced in Monday’s draw with Millwall after suffering a bang to his head and did not train with his team-mates today, but will be assessed tomorrow (Friday) ahead of the weekend visit to Griffin Park.
Winger Mustapha Carayol was also substituted but is expected to be fit to face the Bees.
“Muzzy’s trained today. He looks fine, he’s ok,” McCarthy said.
“Skusey’s not because he got a nasty bang to the head so I’ve left him out today and we’ll see how it is. That will be a decision for tomorrow but he’s a doubt after taking a bang on the head.
You may also want to watch:
“I don’t think (there are any other worries) but there are just a few little bumps and bruises – nothing that’s going to keep anybody out of the squad.”
McCarthy had previously ruled McGoldrick out for the rest of the season after he suffered a groin problem, but admitted the striker could return before the end of the campaign. The forward’s contract is up this summer, with McCarthy again referencing the possibility of the two reuniting at another club in the future.
- 1 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 2 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 3 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 7 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 8 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 9 Cook believes Ipswich are 'biggest and best' club in League One
- 10 Ipswich mum 'eating junk food and take-aways' goes from size 22 to 12
“He’s had his injuries and it looks like he might be fit before the end of the season,” McCarthy said.
“I hope he is, for him.
“I’m not quite sure (what his future is) but he’s been one of the big players and any time a transfer window has come along there has always been talk he might leave.
“I haven’t spoken to him on that subject and, of course, I won’t be speaking to him now about it. Unless I tap him up for somewhere else of course!”
While McGoldrick may return this season, one who will not pull on an Ipswich shirt before the campaign is Dominic Iorfa, with the Wolves loanee dealing with a groin problem.
“No, we won’t see him again,” McCarthy said. “What have we got left? I know we’ve got six games but it’s only four weeks, is it? No, he won’t be back.
“I’m been pleased with him, he’s done everything I’ve ever asked him whether he’s been at full-back or at wing-back.
“He’s shown some great tendencies to get forward and try and work it up front and use his pace, he’s done as well as I’d expect him to.”