David McGoldrick the latest Ipswich Town player to be affected by illness
David McGoldrick is the latest player to be hit by the illness bug which has swept through the Ipswich Town camp.
The front man is absent from the squad which is at Charlton this afternoon for the final friendly game of the summer ahead of next Saturday’s Championship opener against Birmingham City at Portman Road.
Manchester City loan winger Bersant Celina was the first player to be affected earlier in the summer, with manager Mick McCarthy, Tom Adeyemi, Cole Skuse and Bartosz Bialkowski having all picked up the illness at one stage or another.
Celina and Adeyemi are both still struggling, and not at The Valley today, while Emyr Huws (Achilles), Teddy Bishop (groin) and Luke Hyam (ankle) all remain sidelined.
That leaves McCarthy with just one fit experienced central midfielder in Skuse and two fit senior strikers in Joe Garner and Freddie Sears.
You may also want to watch:
Jonas Knudsen has been preferred to Myles Kenlock at left-back today, while Jordan Spence starts ahead of Dominic Iorfa at right-back. Tommy Smith partners Luke Chambers in the heart of defence, with Adam Webster still getting up to speed following an ankle problem.
Flynn Downes, 18, gets another chance to impress in the middle.
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 3 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
- 4 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 5 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 6 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 7 Boy, 13, pulled from moat at Framlingham Castle
- 8 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 9 Man airlifted to hospital from beach given 'vital first aid' by lifeguards
- 10 Superstitious nonsense or serious business? - Change on the way as Ipswich Town play the numbers game
IPSWICH TOWN: Bialkowski; Spence, Chambers (cpt), Smith, Knudsen; Ward, Skuse, Downes, Rowe; Sears, Garner.
Subs: Gerken, Iorfa, Kenlock, Webster, Bru, Dozzell, Nydam, McKendry, Folami, Patterson.