‘We’re just having a look at him’ – Lambert on Dawkins trial
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Ipswich Town manager Paul Lambert has confirmed that former Derby County winger Simon Dawkins is on trial.
The 31-year-old Jamaican scored seven goals in 44 starts and 30 substitute appearances for the Rams between 2013 and 2016.
He’s been without a club since leaving MLS side San Jose Earthquake back in February having had trials at League One clubs Charlton and Luton.
“He’s just training,” said Lambert, who has said he wants to strengthen his squad all across the front line.
“Somebody I knew asked if he could come in and train. He’s getting fitter and better. He had a massive season at Derby a few years ago when they were going for promotion.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re just having a look at him to see how he does.
“I just think he’s effective. He can make things happen at the top end of the pitch.
- 1 Murder suspect arrested after woman found dead at country park
- 2 'I absolutely want to be part of it' - Skipper Chambers on Cook and his Town future
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Town linked with Feyenoord defender as Edwards 'attracts interest'
- 4 Giant Noah's Ark stuck on Ipswich Waterfront
- 5 Paul Cook's takeover worry and why he cancelled today's pre-match press conference
- 6 Driver goes to court over speed camera calibration dispute
- 7 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
- 8 Closing coastal footbridge will have 'devastating' impact, pub owner says
- 9 Careless driver who caused fatal crash is jailed
- 10 Four miles of queues after A12 collision
“He’s a little bit down on fitness levels, that’s normal, but the way he is on the ball is very good.”