‘We’re just having a look at him’ – Lambert on Dawkins trial
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Ipswich Town manager Paul Lambert has confirmed that former Derby County winger Simon Dawkins is on trial.
The 31-year-old Jamaican scored seven goals in 44 starts and 30 substitute appearances for the Rams between 2013 and 2016.
He’s been without a club since leaving MLS side San Jose Earthquake back in February having had trials at League One clubs Charlton and Luton.
“He’s just training,” said Lambert, who has said he wants to strengthen his squad all across the front line.
“Somebody I knew asked if he could come in and train. He’s getting fitter and better. He had a massive season at Derby a few years ago when they were going for promotion.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re just having a look at him to see how he does.
“I just think he’s effective. He can make things happen at the top end of the pitch.
- 1 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 2 'One of the favourites for the division' - Fleetwood boss Grayson on Town
- 3 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 4 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 5 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
- 6 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 7 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 8 13 Fire engines attend blaze at sugar beet factory
- 9 Five floating restaurants to visit in Suffolk
“He’s a little bit down on fitness levels, that’s normal, but the way he is on the ball is very good.”