Deben rowers pitted against best in the country
- Credit: Archant
Teenage Suffolk rowers joined hundreds of competitors from clubs and schools across England, Scotland and Wales in Nottingham for the three-day National Schools Regatta.
Representing Woodbridge’s Deben Rowing Club were Katy Wilkinson-Feller, who was back for a second time at the competition, entering the girls’ single sculls (J18), and nationals first-timer Tristan Hilger, rowing in the junior under-16 single sculls category.
Unlike at other regattas, there was a time trial over 1,750m in order to qualify for the 2,000m race.
Katy and Tristan had to finish in the top 12 to qualify.
Both athletes put in exceptional rows, with Katy qualifying and Tristan just missing out, finishing 14th.
You may also want to watch:
Katy made the semi-finals, with the top three from each group of six going through. She just missed out, coming home in fourth, and finishing seventh overall, establishing her as one of the top 10 junior scullers in the country.
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 5 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 6 'It was a bit of a heavy weight' - Cook on Evans, Morsy and the Town captaincy
- 7 Hundreds of calls, fighting off interest, a health scare and a missing man - how Town signed match-winner Celina this summer
- 8 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 9 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 10 Felixstowe to get £1million 'beach village' with new attractions