Defender Christophe Berra is leaving Ipswich Town – are you sorry to see him go?
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
One of the almost ever-present faces in Ipswich Town’s defence has played his last game for the Blues.
Scottish defender Christophe Berra will be leaving Portman Road “for family reasons”, the club announced on Twitter this morning.
It has been no secret the former Wolves player, signed for free by Mick McCarthy in 2013, has wanted to move closer to his family in Scotland, with a return to boyhood club Hearts frequently mentioned.
An option in Berra’s contract to keep him at Ipswich for another season was not exercised by the club in order to let him move on.
Town manager Mick McCarthy told the club’s website: “It’s a situation we have been aware of for some time.
You may also want to watch:
“He is not doing anything devious, he just wants to spend more time with his daughter and anyone with family can respect that.
“Christophe has been fantastic for us. He has been one of the best defenders in the Championship over the last four years and I didn’t want to lose him but I understand fully why he wants to go back closer to home and we wish him well.”
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 3 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
- 4 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 6 Boy, 13, pulled from moat at Framlingham Castle
- 7 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 8 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 9 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 10 Man airlifted to hospital from beach given 'vital first aid' by lifeguards
Berra said: “I really enjoyed my four years at Ipswich and I’ve only got good things to say about the club. I wish everyone there all the success in the future.”
The Scottish international made 185 appearances for Town, scoring 14 goals and was a regular member of McCarthy’s starting XI during his time at the club.