Depleted Braintree Town suffer big defeat at the hands of Mansfield Town
WITH just 11 outfield players to choose from, Braintree Town failed to sustain their bright start to the game, slumping to a 4-1 defeat.
A heavily-depleted Iron side made the journey and were ahead after eight minutes when Ben Wright was set up by Jai Reason and tucked the ball home from the edge of the box.
The home side levelled on 24 minutes when John Dempster converted Aman Verna’s corner, but the turning point came just before the break when Sean Marks was through on goal only to be denied by an excellent block by home keeper Alan Marriott.
After the break, the home side took the initiative and were ahead after 49 minutes when Matt Green beat Nathan McDonald from close range before Lindon Meikle tucked home Mansfield’s third on the hour.
With only one fit outfield player on the bench, Iron’s options to switch players with substitutions were limited and McDonald could do little to prevent Green adding a fourth on 68 minutes.
You may also want to watch:
After the game Iron boss Alan Devonshire was realistic: “What I’m learning very quickly is that you can’t take on this league with just 12 players.
“I’ve got to sort out the discipline, get everybody fit and available and then we go to work.”
- 1 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 2 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 3 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 4 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 7 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 8 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 9 Cook believes Ipswich are 'biggest and best' club in League One
- 10 Petrol queues worsen rush-hour traffic