Depleted Leiston are too strong for Lewes in Ryman Premier
Depleted Leiston ended their barren league run with a clinical display against an in-form Lewes, in the Ryman Premier Division.
The South Coast side arrived in Suffolk with just one defeat in nine games but by the mid way stage of the first half, that statistic looked like being two defeats in ten as the home side scored two terrific goals in a blistering start to the game at Victory Road.
Richard Wilkins’ side, short of six regulars, started strongly and Banks in the Lewes goal twice thwarted Gareth Heath. He was powerless though to deny the Leiston leading scorer on ten minutes when his blistering left-footed shot from just inside the box flew into the top corner of the net.
Eleven minutes later the lead was doubled when Danny Block’s terrific pass inside Cole released Darren Mills who raced into the box before confidently beating Banks.
Lewes then had a spell of possession but it was Leiston threatening and Winter’s effort hit the side netting before Craig Parker curled an effort inches wide.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors pushed hard at the start of the second half and a series of corners had Leiston defending in numbers but they held out.
Lewes had the hosts penned back for long spells but when Leiston added their third on 68 minutes the game was all but over.
- 1 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 2 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 3 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 7 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 8 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 9 Cook believes Ipswich are 'biggest and best' club in League One
- 10 More police mistakes in case of 'bubbly and funny' Emma who fell from window
Winter did well down the left to elude Lovegrove’s challenge and his cross was dispatched confidently by Craig Parker from eight yards.
Leiston then comfortably saw out the remainder of the game to return to winning ways for their first league win since mid November.
Elsewhere, Witham Town lost 3-1 at Met Police last night, L’heureux Menga grabbing the visitors’ goal.
Heybridge Swifts, meanwhile, lost 2-1 at Redbridge in Ryman North.