Derby complete signing of former Ipswich striker Marriott... and they still want Waghorn
- Credit: Archant
Derby County have completed the signing of former Ipswich Town striker Jack Marriott.
Marriott, who left Portman Road on a free transfer in the summer of 2015, moves to Pride Park for a fee reported in the East Midlands to be an initial £3million rising to £5million having scored 27 goals in League One for Peterborough last season.
“I’m delighted that Jack has chosen to join Derby County and I believe this is another great addition to our squad,” Rams manager Lampard said.
“Goalscorers are always sought-after and Jack certainly has been in demand,” Lampard added.
“He scored an incredible amount of goals in League One last year and, at 23, we know he can still develop and get better too.
You may also want to watch:
“He certainly strikes me as a player that is really determined to improve.”
The Rams have shown serious interest in Ipswich striker Martyn Waghorn this summer, with the capture of Marriott thought to have no impact on Lampard’s desire to bring in the Blues’ leading scorer from last season.
- 1 Matchday Recap: All-square as Town and U's share six goals
- 2 Town complete ninth signing as Edmundson joins from Scottish giants
- 3 Teenage girl allegedly raped on village recreation ground, court hears
- 4 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 5 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
- 6 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 7 Suffolk postcode sees house prices rise by £100,000 in a year
- 8 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 9 Town complete Chaplin deal as Barnsley forward becomes signing No.10
- 10 Friends reunited, points to prove and more goals, please - Town face U's
We understand Waghorn has not submitted an official transfer request, although there have been national reports suggesting he has indicated his desire to leave.
The Rams are understood to have made a firm enquiry without submitting a formal bid, with Blues owner Marcus Evans not entertaining talk of a deal unless it includes a significant up-front payment. It has been reported the overall Derby package could be in the region of £8million.
While Derby still want Waghorn, any move for the Ipswich striker would rely on other strikers moving on. Matej Vydra has been linked with a £10m+ move to Leeds all summer, while Chris Martin, David Nugent and Cameron Jerome are all available for transfer.
It is understood the Blues have not enquired about a swap deal involving any of those Derby strikers, while it is also understood Middlesbrough remain interested in Waghorn. Any deal with the Teesside club would likely need striker Patrick Bamford to move on first.
Waghorn is at the Blues’ open day at Portman Road this morning and will train with his new team-mates later on.