Digby move suits all parties, says Barnsley boss Lee Johnson
- Credit: Archant
Barnsley boss Lee Johnson believes Paul Digby’s loan move to Ipswich Town is just what the youngster needs.
The 20-year-old moved to Suffolk at the weekend on a loan deal until the end of the season, having played just three games for the Tykes this season following a summer trial with Premier League giants Manchester United,
He burst onto the scene as he made his first-team debut as a 16-year-old but failed to establish himself under a number of managers at Oakwell and has made 25 appearances in the last five years.
Despite starting his career as a midfielder, Ipswich boss Mick McCarthy looks set to use the youngster as a defender, with Barnsley boss Johnson admitting the move is probably best for all parties.
Johnson told the Barnsley Chronicle: “I think he’s got a big name in youth football. Ipswich asked for him to come in for a couple of days on trial and behind the scenes they set up a deal potentially but at the moment it’s a loan for them to have a look at him.
“I don’t think he’s under any pressure at the moment to go into their first team but it’s one that suits all parties at the moment.”
You may also want to watch:
Digby was at Burnley to watch the Blues in action on Saturday and could be involved in tomorrow’s FA Cup clash with Portsmouth.
- 1 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 2 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 3 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 4 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 5 New shop for farm that focuses on mental health
- 6 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 7 From obscurity to a nailed-on starter - Donacien's remarkable Town journey
- 8 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 9 Nsiala on his injury return, a rollercoaster Town career and 'hugging it out' with boss Cook
- 10 'It was always going to be' - Cook confirms Morsy as Town's club captain