Dignitaries try out Women’s Tour route in Suffolk ahead of big day
- Credit: Archant
Excitement is building for the Women’s Tour as dignitaries take up the chance to ride part of the Suffolk route ahead of the main event next month.
Around 25 people escorted by police motorcyclists joined TV presenter, journalist and author Rebecca Charlton and professional cyclist Chanel Mason of Storey Racing, who will take part in the official race, on the 32-mile ride from Framlingham Castle to The Swan Hotel in Southwold today.
The first stage of the OVO Energy Women’s Tour will take place in Suffolk on Wednesday, June 13, bringing some of the world’s best cyclists to the county.
The 130km route will start in Framlingham and finish in Southwold, and is expected to attract thousands of spectators.
Abdul Razaq, director of public health and protection at Suffolk County Council, said: “I’m thrilled to welcome the Women’s Tour back to Suffolk.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s fantastic to have so many join us today, getting into the spirit of the event ahead of the big day next month. It just goes to show the whole county’s excitement for the Women’s Tour coming to Suffolk in just a few weeks-time.”
Mr Razaq said he hoped the event would inspire people to take part in the official Tour Ride, supporting Breast Cancer Care, following the race.
- 1 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 2 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 3 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 How it all unfolded: Town grab late point against Owls in bizarre fashion
- 6 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 7 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
- 8 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 9 Match Ratings: How Town players performed against Wednesday
- 10 Ipswich Town 1 Sheffield Wednesday 1: Late Chaplin goal grabs Town a point
Race director Mick Bennett said: “It is great to see partners involved in the Suffolk stage of the OVO Energy Women’s Tour getting out on the route to experience the same roads as the world’s top riders will race on this June.
“The route for stage one is beautiful and we hope that the many towns, villages and communities along it will embrace the race and turn out to cheer on the riders on Wednesday, June 13.”
TJ Haworth-Culf, Suffolk Coastal District Council’s cabinet member for customers, communities and leisure, and Michael Ladd, Waveney District Council’s cabinet member for economic development and tourism, both expressed their support for the event.
The Tour Ride will take place in Suffolk on Sunday, July 1 and will give members of the public the opportunity to ride one of two routes, inspired by stage one of the Women’s Tour.
To sign up, visit: www.womenstour.co.uk/about/tourride/