Disciplined display secures win
A DISCIPLINED bowling and fielding display saw the Marshall Hatchick Two Counties Championship Over-50s representative side defeat Long Melford Seniors by five wickets on Wednesday.
The home team, batting first, made 156 for nine declared, with Two Counties regular Phil Cox top-scoring with 44 against the side he normally represents. Barry Ball then made a half century as the Two Counties took just 36 overs to reach their target.
Martin Southwell did a good job deputising as skipper for John Stuck, who received a late call-up to the Suffolk Over-50s side.
Long Melford Seniors 156 for 9 (P Cox 44, B Challis 32, R Black 32, M Southwell 3 for 18, B Tompkins 2 for 34, N Pearce 2 for 38, P McGain 1 for 23, R Abbott 1 for 40). Two Counties 157 for 5 (B Ball 52, J Gallant 35, S Isaac 23no, N Henbury 1 for 25, R Powell 1 for 25, M Maxim 1 for 29, S Carpenter 1 for 34). Two Counties won by 5 wkts.
Captain Phil Cox will be aiming to lead the President’s XI to a long-awaited victory over the Marshall Hatchick Two Counties Championship Over-50s representative side in their annual fixture at Church Road, home of Elmstead Grasshoppers CC, on Wednesday, start 2pm.
You may also want to watch:
President’s XI: P Cox (Long Melford, capt), B Richards (Frinton, wkt), J Stuck (Clacton), T Mills, S Butcher (both Mistley), I Robinson (Tendring), B Challis (Long Melford), A Cooke (Copdock & OIs), G Webster (Maldon), B Ball (Abberton), M Hillis (DBSL), B Turley (Brightlingsea), S Carpenter (Long Melford).
Two Counties XI: M Paget (Abberton, capt & wkt), M Southwell, S Bulger (both Maldon), C Walters (Sudbury), S Marks (Melton St Audrys), S Isaac (Braintree), J Wiseman (Wivenhoe), N Oakley (Earls Colne), R Black, M Thew, R Kemp, R Powell (all Long Melford).
- 1 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 2 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 3 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 4 How it all unfolded: Town grab late point against Owls in bizarre fashion
- 5 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 6 Petrol queues worsen rush-hour traffic
- 7 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 8 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 9 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 10 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
Umps: R Digweed & H Bishop; scrs: W Black & K Sparkes.
The Two Counties Over-60s face the MSC Suffolk Alliance League Over-60s at Bentries Meadow, Easton CC, on Thursday, start 2pm.
Two Counties: P Cox (Long Melford, capt), B Richards (Frinton, wkt), S Isaac (Braintree), D Messent (Earls Colne), K Patel (Braintree), J Stuck (Clacton), R Black (Long Melford), R Ingham, R Abbott, R Ratford (all Ipswich), B Ball (Abberton), N Pearce (Easton). Ump: R Digweed; scr: R Podd.