Diss score seven tries - and still lose!

Diss surge through in their classic clash with Eton Manor. Picture: JOHN GRIST

Diss surge through in their classic clash with Eton Manor. Picture: JOHN GRIST - Credit: Archant

London 1 North Diss 43 Eton Manor 47 Diss and Eton Manor produced a game of untold excitement and entertainment that highlighted both side’s ability to attack on the front foot, whilst exhibiting true weaknesses in defence.

Both sides had scored converted tries within the first two minutes before the game had settled into any sort of pattern. Stephen Hipwell broke from halfway to feed John Laurie, who raced over to respond to Manor’s earlier success.

Hipwell then took advantage of a well worked line-out to charge over to give the home side a well-deserved lead.

But the leaky Diss defence soon returned allowing Manor to cut through at least four tackles to tie the score at 14 apiece. Manor then capitalised on a Diss infringement at the breakdown to increase their lead by three points.

On 20 minutes a sublime pass from Tim Groom sent Laurie over for his second try to restore the home side’s lead.

The game imploded on two fronts during the last five minutes of the half. Following an incident on the touchline an Eton Manor player was red carded, whilst Ed Hudson spent a brief period in the sin bin.

Three tries were then scored as defensive structures completely collapsed. Manor capitalised first breaking through following poor ball retention.

Most Read

Diss then scored a beautifully-constructed try through rapid movement of the ball out wide that eventually released Freddie Precious to score.

On the stroke of half time Manor yet again struck to lead 31-24 at the interval.

Eton Manor has the better of things after the break too, securing a converted try and three well-struck penalties.

Diss did respond with a ferocious drive close to the Manor line to eventually be awarded a deserved penalty try. But still some 16 points adrift with ten minutes to go, Hipwell brought life back into the game, scoring a vital try that gave the home side a chance of a second bonus point. Sustained pressure eventually released Todd Wishart, who finished superbly. Jack Peacock stepped up to convert, ending a pulsating game where the losing side scored seven tries.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter