Dominic Smith becomes latest Colchester Unied debutant
Dominic Smith became the latest Colchester United debutant, at Walsall on Saturday.
Target man Jabo Ibehre missed the goalless draw at the Bescot Stadium due to a knee injury, which enabled summer signing Smith to be involved with the first team squad for the first time.
And the 18-year-old striker, recruited from Crewe, was rewarded with a senior debut as a 77th minute substitute against the Saddlers.
“We gave Dominic 15 minutes at the end,” explained Humes.
“We were starting to tire near the end, because all the players had put a shift in.
You may also want to watch:
“We needed a little more of a presence than just Freddie (Sears) for the last 15 minutes.
“Although Dominic didn’t get in the game very much, he occupied the two centre-halves, and it was good for him.
- 1 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 2 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 3 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 4 Two Suffolk homes 30 miles apart struck by lightning
- 5 Additional measures including face masks to be reintroduced to Suffolk schools
- 6 'We were shamed'... Pompey boss Cowley offers no excuses
- 7 A14 roundabout lanes remain closed as burst water main repaired
- 8 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Villa set to recall Barry in January
- 9 Stu says: He's ours now! The pick-pocket and cheese-gate - Town's 4-0 win
- 10 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
“It was a boost for him to come on and make his league debut, and hopefully he will gain confidence from this opportunity.”
After gaining only their second point of the season, at Walsall on Saturday, the U’s now face another big test on the road, at Leyton Orient next Saturday.