Downes and Nydam face increased competition, says McCarthy
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Teenage midfield duo Flynn Downes and Tristan Nydam must compete for their places now senior players are returning to fitness, says Ipswich Town manager Mick McCarthy.
Essex-born Downes, 18, really caught the eye after replacing the injured Andre Dozzell midway through the opening day of the season 1-0 home win against Birmingham and subsequently made five starts and five further substitute appearances.
Zimbabwe-born Nydam, who has only recently turned 18, has also made eight starts and five sub appearances for the first team in a variety of positions.
Downes hasn’t been in the matchday squad for the last three matches though, while Nydam has been an unused sub in the last two.
That’s because the transfer-listed Kevin Bru has worked his way back into the picture recently, while versatile Everton loanee Callum Connolly has impressed in midfield of late.
In addition, long-term injury absentees Emyr Huws and Teddy Bishop are now available for selection again, while Tom Adeyemi should return to action next month.
“Flynn did make a real impact, as has Tristan, but if all the players had been fit then they wouldn’t have started – we all know that,” said McCarthy.
- 1 Man caught massaging woman's leg by husband viewing home CCTV
- 2 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 3 Evicted Suffolk family of dying child given early Christmas presents
- 4 Suffolk beauty spots ranked among best in UK
- 5 Is this the cheapest house for sale in Suffolk?
- 7 Action taken to target second home owners exploiting tax loophole
- 8 Willow Tree Farm Shop & Cafe: 'A lovely blend of upmarket and informal'
- 9 'You can't kid supporters... we have to give them a lift' - Cook previews Crewe clash
- 10 JCB skip loader worth £5,500 stolen from Suffolk village
“They are competing for their places now with everyone else.
“Flynn did have an injury and a couple of weeks where he wasn’t fit, then he went away with England (U21s), but now he’s back and completing for a place with a lot of other players.
“Those two lads were great when we needed them but they now have competition from a lot of senior players.”