Dozzell replaces Chalobah in England Under-20 squad
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Andre Dozzell has replaced Ipswich Town club-mate Trevoh Chalobah in the England Under-20 squad ahead of friendlies against Italy and the Czech Republic.
Chalobah, on loan with the Blues from Chelsea, has been withdrawn after suffering a minor knock in Saturday’s 3-2 win at Saturday.
Dozzell, along with fellow Town midfielder Flynn Downes, initially joined up with the squad only to train. However, the former Copleston High School pupil has now been called into the main party.
The 19-year-old played a key role in England winning the European Under-19 Championships last summer, but then missed the entire 2017/18 campaign with a cruciate knee ligament injury sustained in the season-opener.
He made his competitive return to action when stepping off the bench in last Tuesday’s 2-0 home defeat to Middlesbrough and then started at The Liberty Stadium.
You may also want to watch:
Having previously been capped at U16 to U19 level, he could now make his England U20s debut against Italy, at AFC Fylde’s ground in Lancashire, tonight. The Young Three Lions then travel to face the Czech Republic in Budejovice on Monday.
Former Town favourite and current U18s manager Kieron Dyer has been invited to be part of head coach Paul Simpson’s staff for this and the next few training camps.
- 1 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 2 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 3 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 4 Police officers praised for saving baby's life with CPR
- 5 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 6 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 7 New shop for farm that focuses on mental health
- 8 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 9 From obscurity to a nailed-on starter - Donacien's remarkable Town journey
- 10 Nsiala on his injury return, a rollercoaster Town career and 'hugging it out' with boss Cook