Dramatic finish to Ridgeons season
DEBENHAM LC snatched promotion to the Premier Division on a dramatic final weekend of the Ridgeons League season.The Hornets went into the final game of the season knowing they had to win at March Town United and hope that third-place Halstead Town slipped up.
DEBENHAM LC snatched promotion to the Premier Division on a dramatic final weekend of the Ridgeons League season.
The Hornets went into the final game of the season knowing they had to win at March Town United and hope that third-place Halstead Town slipped up.
The Essex side did just that - drawing 1-1 at Great Yarmouth Town - although the match finished in controversy when the referee disallowed a strike from Halstead's San Lee three minutes from the end for offside, despite the linesman not flagging.
Halstead boss Jody Brown had to be restrained at the end such was his fury at the official's decision.
You may also want to watch:
That result meant that Debenham LC had to win by three goals or more to steal the third and final promotion spot - and the side that have finished the season in red-hot form did just that by knocking seven past March Town United in their first ever win at the GER Sports Ground.
Meanwhile, Harwich & Parkeston United now face a nervous wait to see whether they will be relegated from the Premier Division after they dropped into the bottom two on the final day of the season.
- 1 Matchday Recap: All-square as Town and U's share six goals
- 2 Town complete ninth signing as Edmundson joins from Scottish giants
- 3 Teenage girl allegedly raped on village recreation ground, court hears
- 4 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
- 5 Kenyan school chums meet by 'unbelievable chance' at Suffolk village fete
- 6 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 7 Suffolk postcode sees house prices rise by £100,000 in a year
- 8 Friends reunited, points to prove and more goals, please - Town face U's
- 9 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 10 Man in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
The Essex side's 3-1 defeat at Woodbridge Town - combined with Norwich United's surprise win at Histon Reserves - saw the Seasiders leapfrogged by the Norfolk outfit.
Their fate now rests on whether Lowestoft or Needham accept promotion and/or Tiptree United move across to the Essex Senior League.