Drew Kemp: The speedway world at his feet, hot property – and already gifted with a host of life skills
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Teen star Drew Kemp has no hesitation when asked how far he wants to go in speedway.
“I want to be world champion,” he says.
Already there are few who doubt the amiable 16-year-old from Great Blakenham, near Ipswich, has the talent.
Kemp has enjoyed an outstanding 2018.
Snapped up by Kevin Jolly and James Easter at National League Mildenhall, where he has been superbly nurtured from a two-point reserve to the team’s No.1, Kemp has been winning heats and scoring points for fun.
You may also want to watch:
As he turned 16, a dream step up to the Championship with his home-town club, Ipswich Witches, has seen him kick on again.
“It’s tougher in the Championship with Ipswich. I knew it would be,” Kemp said.
- 1 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 2 Lorry overturns after crashing into office building - warning over delays
- 3 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
- 4 Seven spots to visit on the Suffolk Coast this autumn
- 5 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 6 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 7 'Outstanding' former Ipswich teachers leave £2million to charities in will
- 8 Church brings a new Hope to former Ipswich Odeon cinema
- 9 Louis Theroux documentary on White House Farm murder premieres tonight
- 10 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
“The points are harder to come by, but I’m really enjoying it.
“I’m getting loads of help and the fans are great. Of course many Ipswich fans go to Mildenhall, so many of them already know me.”
Kemp enjoys good family support.
His mum, dad, grandad and sister are almost always alongside him. It’s a vital cog.
For someone so young, he’s a good listener, has a good attitude and is approachable.
Those life skills, as well as his skill on a speedway bike, have the potential to reap him huge rewards.
And his, ‘I want to be world champion’, answer is not said with any arrogance.
He’s far from that. Just confident. And why not?
For someone who only started riding speedway in 2015 (although he’s ridden motocross since he was four!), he’s come along way on the shale.
The 2019 season is already being thought about – and Kemp is hot property.
“It would be nice to get in the Ipswich team next year,” he admits.
“We’ll have to wait and see what happens.”
Tomorrow night, Kemp and his Witches team-mates entertain Berwick at Foxhall Stadium, 7.30pm start.
Ipswich: R Lawson (guest), C Heeps, N Covatti, M Riss, R/R, C Garcia, D Kemp.
Berwick: A Summers, K Doolan, J Etheridge, D Howe, NB Jakobsen, D Gappmaier, T Pijper.