Drinan bags a brace as Town under 23s beat the Baggies

Aaron Drinan and Ben Morris were both on the scoresheet for Town under 23s. Picture: ROSS HALLS

Aaron Drinan and Ben Morris were both on the scoresheet for Town under 23s. Picture: ROSS HALLS - Credit: Archant

Under 23 Premier League Cup Ipswich Town 3 West Bromwich Albion 2 Aaron Drinan netted twice and Ben Morris continued his impressive run of form with another goal as ten-man Ipswich Town U23’s edged out West Bromwich Albion in their final Under 23’s Premier League Cup group game at a snowy Portman Road this afternoon, writes Kieren Standley.

Chris Goteni saw red for Town. Picture: ITFC

Chris Goteni saw red for Town. Picture: ITFC - Credit: Archant

Sam Field and Jamie Soule had twice pegged Town back, before Drinan sealed the victory in stoppage time.

Town didn’t register a shot on target until just before the half-hour mark when Barry Cotter’s shot from distance forced Albion keeper Alex Palmer into a low diving save.

But Drinan started the goal rush a minute after the break as he fired into the far corner at the second attempt, after the Baggies failed to clear their lines following a quick throw in and delivery from the left hand side.

- MORE: Stuart Watson’s Verdict: Marcus Evans needs to speak up

Five minutes later, the Blues were reduced to ten men as Chris Goteni clumsily brought down Pierce just inside the area, following a long ball over the top. Field stepped up and sent Crowe the wrong way to bring the Baggies level.

You may also want to watch:

The West-Midlanders weren’t level for long as the Blues responded to going a man down and re-took the lead.

Trialist Ben Stephens won the ball in midfield and ran at the Albion defence before playing a perfectly weighted through-ball to Morris, who showed great composure to smash the ball past the helpless Palmer.

- MORE: Carayol’s white lie helped him become match winner

Most Read

However Albion drew level 13 minutes from time as they capitalised on the extra-man advantage, with substitute Soule following up at the second attempt after Michael Crowe had denied his initial effort.

The entertaining second-half would produce more drama as Cotter was forced off with injury late on, resulting in Drinan temporarily filling in at centre-half.

Town continued to push for a winner, with Stephens unlucky to see his bullet header denied by a tremendous save from Palmer, five minutes from time.

- LIKE: Our Facebook page for more news and videos from the Blues

The ten man Blues did eventually come up with the winner in stoppage time as Morris’ low driven cross was turned home by what looked like an own-goal from Nathan Ferguson, but Drinan was judged to have got the final touch.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter