Dunne praises Macauley for his ‘Andy Gray-like’ winner
- Credit: Archant
Colchester United boss Joe Dunne praised his young guns, following today’s terrific 1-0 home win over promotion-chasing Peterborough.
Super sub Macauley Bonne, on as a 62nd minute substitute, headed home the winner from Luke Garbutt’s cross just seven minutes later.
It was the perfect way for Academy product Bonne to celebrate his 18th birthday, while also ending the U’s run of 11 league games without a win.
“The younger players play without fear,” enthused Dunne.
“It was a big call to take off Clinton (Morrison), because he did brilliant for us today. Clinton gives us so much.
You may also want to watch:
“But I felt we needed to just get that extra bit of energy, playing against the 10 men, for the last bit, and both Macauley (Bonne) and Sammie (Szmodics) did exceptionally well.
“Overall, I’m pleased with the win.
- 1 A12 reopens after serious collision
- 3 Haverhill firm goes into liquidation with just £2.42 in the bank
- 4 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 5 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 6 Evans on Town's 'powerful' mantra, not shying away from favourites tag and working under Cook again
- 7 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 8 Olly Murs in hospital after leg injury from Newmarket Nights gig
- 9 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 10 Nearly 20,000 parking fines since council took control of enforcement
“It was a great goal. Macca (Macauley) is good at attacking crosses, and we had been working on crossing in training this week.
“It was an Andy Gray-like finish from him!” added Dunne.
Peterborough had been reduced to 10 men early in the second half, following Lee Tomlin’s dismissal for violent conduct on Craig Eastmond.
Bonne then obliged with a 69th minute winner, to chalk up the U’s first victory in 12 games and 77 days.
It was only Peterborough’s second league defeat of the campaign, and their first reverse on the road.