Dunne revels in the confidence of his in-form U’s
- Credit: Archant
COLCHESTER United boss Joe Dunne was delighted with “the manner” of his side’s crunch 1-0 home win over Preston North End this afternoon.
An in-form Freddie Sears popped up with a 55th minute winner to seal the U’s third victory in four games, and so keep the Essex club two points clear of the relegation zone – fellow strugglers Oldham and Scunthorpe also won.
“This was a very good victory,” enthused Dunne.
“I thought the manner of our victory today was very, very pleasing, based on the fact that it was a gritty game.
“It was a game where discipline was key, and I thought we had enough quality, in terms of how we attacked Preston, to win the game.
“I thought we played the first half well again. We hit the post (Gavin Massey), and Preston threw everything at us, which we expected. But we defended exceptionally well.
“This gave us a good firm base to attack with,
- 1 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 2 Look inside 'immaculately presented' property with own bar and heated pool
- 3 Ipswich Town sign Brentford full-back Thompson on loan
- 4 Glamping pods and shepherd huts proposed in holiday site expansion
- 5 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 6 'One or two we're speaking to' - McKenna on transfer plans
- 7 McKenna on offers for Harper and El Mizouni and Fraser's Town future
- 8 Adventure Golf attraction set to make way for new homes
- 9 'I'm not here to settle' - Walton sets sights high after permanent Town move
- 10 Town could lose its Post Office branch in triple closure shock
“The first goal has been key in most of the games we have played recently, and so it was again.
“And once we scored the goal, I think you saw the confidence exude from my players,” added Dunne.