Dunne revels in the confidence of his in-form U’s
- Credit: Archant
COLCHESTER United boss Joe Dunne was delighted with “the manner” of his side’s crunch 1-0 home win over Preston North End this afternoon.
An in-form Freddie Sears popped up with a 55th minute winner to seal the U’s third victory in four games, and so keep the Essex club two points clear of the relegation zone – fellow strugglers Oldham and Scunthorpe also won.
“This was a very good victory,” enthused Dunne.
“I thought the manner of our victory today was very, very pleasing, based on the fact that it was a gritty game.
“It was a game where discipline was key, and I thought we had enough quality, in terms of how we attacked Preston, to win the game.
You may also want to watch:
“I thought we played the first half well again. We hit the post (Gavin Massey), and Preston threw everything at us, which we expected. But we defended exceptionally well.
“This gave us a good firm base to attack with,
- 1 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 2 'It was a tiny step forwards' - Cook on 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 3 Matchday Live: Updates as Town travel to The Valley to face Charlton
- 4 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 5 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 6 Missing Stowmarket man, 49, found safe and well
- 7 Shopper eschew Suffolk's smaller towns to hit Primark
- 8 Suffolk-born Royal Ballet choreographer Liam Scarlett dies
- 9 Blues ratings: How Town players performed in the draw at Charlton
- 10 Saturday drinkers queue for post-lockdown pints
“The first goal has been key in most of the games we have played recently, and so it was again.
“And once we scored the goal, I think you saw the confidence exude from my players,” added Dunne.