Dunne’s threat ahead of Colchester United’s Cup game
- Credit: Archant
Colchester United boss, Joe Dunne, is threatening to play the majority of his first choice XI, who so disappointed at Tranmere, for this evening’s Essex Senior Cup fourth round tie against visiting Billericay Town.
But, when it comes to it, the Irishman is likely to rest most of his regulars.
The U’s do not have a game this weekend, but Dunne will not want to risk anymore unnecessary injuries – the likes of Sanchez Watt, Drey Wright, Josh Thompson, Freddie Sears and Gavin Massey are all long-term absentees.
However, new loan signings Ben Tozer and Blair Turgott are both set to feature against Billericay, following their one-month loan moves from Northampton and West Ham respectively last Thursday.
Following the 2-1 defeat at Tranmere’s Prenton Park, Dunne admitted: “I told the players what I think, and to be honest I’m thinking about throwing them all back in again on Tuesday night.
You may also want to watch:
“Two weeks is too long to wait for another game, but I don’t want to punish them too much, because they have again played well.
“But we need a game quickly.”
- 1 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 2 Town co-owner Bakay on future of Portman Road name
- 3 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 4 Sought-after Felixstowe beach hut sells for £88K
- 5 'I am very, very excited' - Town teenager Gibbs completes Norwich move
- 6 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 7 Empty shelves as 'pingdemic' takes its toll on Suffolk's supply chain
- 8 Town Transfer Talk: Latest on Coulson, Crooks, Bishop and Downes
- 9 Bin lorry driver ran over colleague's leg in Kesgrave
- 10 5 places to avoid the crowds in Suffolk this summer
Although Dunne was satisfied with his side’s overall display on the Wirral, he was furious with the slack defending from corner kicks that effectively resulted in Tranmere’s two goals, both scored by Ryan Lowe.