Dutch master-class from the U’s in Holland
Vitesse Arnhem 2 Colchester United 3
SUMMER signings Marcus Bean and Freddie Sears were both on target as Colchester United defeated Vitesse Arnhem in a pre-season friendly in Holland this afternoon.
Ex-Brentford midfielder Bean headed the U‘s second goal, midway through the first-half, after Freddie Ladapo had earlier broken the deadlock.
And fellow new recruit Sears added the U’s third early in the second half, to add to his brace in Saturday’s big win at Heybridge Swifts.
The U’s first-half starting XI included first pre-season run-outs for Magnus Okuonghae, Anthony Wordsworth and Kem Izzet.
You may also want to watch:
Midfielders Izzet and Wordsworth had both missed Saturday’s 6-0 win at Heybridge, due to minor injuries, while Okuonghae had only just re-signed for the U’s, on a three-year contract.
Ladapo grabbed the lead for the visitors, just before the 20-minute mark, after being set up by Drey Wright. It was a slick first-time finish.
- 1 A12 closed by police after serious collision
- 2 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 4 Haverhill firm goes into liquidation with just £2.42 in the bank
- 6 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 7 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 8 Olly Murs in hospital after leg injury from Newmarket Nights gig
- 9 Nearly 20,000 parking fines since council took control of enforcement
- 10 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
The U’s then responded to a Vitesse Arnhem equaliser, by regaining the lead in quick fashion. Bean headed home Michael Rose’s free-kick on 38 minutes, to chalk up his first goal in a U’s shirt.
Ward fielded a completely different team for the second period, but it didn’t take long for summer signing Sears to make his mark.
Ex-West Ham front-runner Sears fired home the U’s third, via the inside of the post, following good build-up by Alex Gilbey.
The Dutch hosts pulled a goal back late in the game, but the U’s held on for the win.
First-half XI: Cousins, Wilson, Okuonghae, Aldred, Rose, Izzet, Bean, Wordsworth, Duguid, Wright, Ladapo.
Second-half XI: Pentney, White, Eastman, Heath, Coker, Gilbey, O’Toole, Hamilton, Bond, Sears, Henderson.