Early strike sinks Town
Southampton 1 Ipswich 0A HEADED goal from a free-kick after just 55 seconds by Marek Saganowski won Southampton this Championship game at St Mary's Stadium this afternoon.
By Elvin King
Southampton 1 Ipswich 0
A HEADED goal from a free-kick after just 55 seconds by Marek Saganowski won Southampton this Championship game at St Mary's Stadium this afternoon.
Ipswich's inability to defend dead ball kicks cost them yet again, and with their deplorable current record in front of goal the home side's play-off quest was given a welcome if nervy boost.
Kelvin Davis made good saves from George O'Callaghan and substitute Jonathan Walters, but despite having plenty of possession it was not a game that suggested Ipswich will gain points from their next three matches.
If they fail to get a reasonable points haul from QPR, Hull and Southend, Ipswich could - on this form - find themselves with a relegation fight on their hands.
- 1 Police cordon off Stowmarket dentist after break-in
- 2 Will Suffolk have a white Christmas this year?
- 3 25-year-old left eating disorder clinic prior to death on A14
- 4 Watch: Celina's wonder goal against Crewe
- 5 'I thought he was going to Ipswich' - rival boss reveals Blues interest in right-back
- 6 Paramedics called after tree falls on car in east Suffolk
- 7 From Celina to Mariner - the best goals ever scored at Portman Road
- 8 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 9 The Ipswich Town players who could force their way into Cook's thinking during cup break
- 10 Triple murder accused appears in court
They have now gone seven away games without a goal and it is over nine hours now since they found the net in any match.