East Anglian derby at Portman Road not selected for broadcast
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Ipswich Town’s home match with rivals Norwich City has not been selected for broadcast by Sky Sports.
Sky announced their EFL broadcast schedule for August, September and October today, and the Blues’ clash with the Canaries at Portman Road on Sunday, September 2 (12pm ko) does not feature on the list.
Instead, Sky will broadcast the Scottish SPL derby between Celtic and Rangers at that time, with Championship fixtures Leeds v Middlesbrough (Fri, Aug 31) and Millwall v Swansea (Sat, Sept 1) also broadcast that weekend.
It’s the first time since April 2011 – when Town lost 5-1 to Norwich at Portman Road – that an East Anglian derby has not been selected for broadcast.
Ipswich, under new boss Paul Hurst, are out to end a 10-game winless streak against Norwich that stretches back to April 2009.
You may also want to watch:
The 30,311 capacity Portman Road attracted a crowd of 24,928 for this fixture last October and 23,350 in August 2016. The match not being on television could help boost that figure.
The only time Town will feature on Sky in the opening three months of the campaign, in the league at least, will be the midweek home match against Middlesbrough on Tuesday, October 2 (7.45pm).
- 1 A12 reopens after serious collision
- 2 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 3 Our Ipswich Town predictions: Top scorer, best player, where they'll finish and more
- 4 'There won't be a better group of strikers in the league' - Jeffers on Town's firepower
- 5 Man dies in two-car crash on A12
- 7 Man who built outbuildings and lake without permission fined £1,300
- 8 Historic East Anglian sailing barge to become floating bakery
- 9 Snape Maltings launches two new restaurants with far-reaching river views
- 10 Film crews begin shooting Amazon show in Suffolk village
Since Noel Hunt’s dramatic winner at Charlton in November 2014, Ipswich have won just two of their last 23 games broadcast live on television.