East London II 5 Clacton 1
NE14Hockey East Men's LeagueDivision 4SE East London II 5 Clacton 1CLACTON'S opponents with the motivation to avoid relegation had a stronger desire for the three points to out battle the Seasiders and come away with an easy victory.
NE14Hockey East Men's League
East London II 5 Clacton I
CLACTON'S opponents with the motivation to avoid relegation had a stronger desire for the three points to out battle the Seasiders and come away with an easy victory. The Seasiders started brightly and created chances going forwards, but with their collective defensive game in disarray the opponents punished Clacton.
You may also want to watch:
The opening goal came against the run of play when ex-Clacton player Kevin Taylor had his stick in the right place to find a quickly taken free hit deflecting into the corner to give Mike Key no chance. Clacton picked themselves up and continued to pressurise the home side and work the ball through Jamie Roberts, Carl Parkes, James Mead, Phil Herr, and Russell Measor to attack down the right. When they worked a short corner Rik Coleman fired the ball passed the keeper for Roberts to deflect home for 1-1.
The Seasiders should have taken the lead when Coleman shelled the ball over the prone keeper, but Measor found himself in direct line and his reflexes provided an amazing goal line clearance. The home side let Clacton off the hook when they managed to shoot wide with an open goal, but moments later they fired in a short corner for 2-1 at half time.
- 1 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 2 Teen among two arrested in armed police incident
- 3 Can Town kick on now? Predictions for the next five league games
- 4 Jail for man who threatened to 'do a Raoul Moat' and kill police
- 5 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 6 'We have formed a successful partnership' - Morsy on his Evans reunion
- 7 Things to do in Suffolk this weekend with friends and family
- 8 Channel 4's Changing Rooms comes to Bury St Edmunds tonight
- 9 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering serious leg injuries in crash
- 10 Britain's poshest train set to return to Ipswich
The second half saw the home side score two goals in quick succession to seal the result. Clacton had moments of great hockey with Denzil Donovan and Captain Parkes forcing the opponents into a mistake with the keeper saving Parkes's shot. Measor put in an energetic and strong performance being recalled after a two-year spell with the second team after some late team changes. Man of the match was a tough call between Mead and Herr with Herr earning the award with his skilful free hit deliveries from around the circle. Ryan Nippress put in another solid performance with Nick Key showing his tackling and interception skills as Gavin Underhay followed his man at centre back.
Next week Clacton play their last game of the season at home against Maldon and Little Baddow looking to finish the season with a win after only picking up one point in the last five games to see their promotion hopes disappear.