Eastern Counties lose out to Surrey at Twickenham
- Credit: Archant
Eastern Counties went down to defeat at Twickenham on Sunday, losing their County Championship Division 2 Plate final 17-3 to Surrey.
Tries from Mike Terelak and Will Crow, both converted by Matt Noble, meant that Surrey went into the break 14-3 in front.
A penalty from James Stokes (Cambridge), sandwiched between the tries was Counties’ only response, although Mike Ayrton (Cambridge) had a try ruled out for crossing, just before the interval.
Counties had the better of the forward battle in the first half, but Surrey dominated the second, Noble adding another penalty just before the end.
Eastern Counties: 1 Matt Worrall-Clare (Cambridge), 2 Ean Griffiths (Cambridge), 3 Sisa Naqasima (Shelford), 4 Martin Wolfenden (Cambridge), 5 Ollie Marriott (Cambridge), 6 Aki Lea (Shelford), 7 Simon Johnson (Cambridge), 8 Steve Hipwell (Cambridge), 9 Ben Penfold (Cambridge), 10 James Shanahan © (Old Albanians), 11 Mike Ayrton (Cambridge), 12 James Ayrton (Cambridge), 13 Albert Portsmouth (Cambridge), 14 Mike Gillick (Cambridge), 15 James Stokes (Cambridge)
You may also want to watch:
Replacements: 16 Simon Uzokwe (Darlington Mowden Park), 17 Sam Bixby (Bury St Edmunds), 18 Red Newberry (Shelford), 19 Conor Gracey (Cambridge), 20 Des Brett (Southwold), 21 Harry Peck (Cambridge University), 22 Ben Murphy (Colchester).
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 3 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 6 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 7 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 8 Hundreds of calls, fighting off interest, a health scare and a missing man - how Town signed match-winner Celina this summer
- 9 East Suffolk village garage to be rebuilt as part of homes plan
- 10 'It was a bit of a heavy weight' - Cook on Evans, Morsy and the Town captaincy