Eastmond sustains ankle injury at Heybridge
- Credit: Archant
Colchester United’s senior pre-season campaign began in ominous fashion tonight, when new signing Craig Eastmond was stretchered off with an ankle injury.
Midfielder Eastmond, snapped up on a two-year contract from Arsenal earlier in the summer, was felled by a robust challenge from Heybridge Swifts’ Ryan Doyle during the first half at Scraley Road.
It was a challenge that angered U’s manager Joe Dunne, and resulted in playmaker Eastmond being stretchered off.
And it certainly took the edge of the U’s 2-1 victory.
Ironically, Dunne had only yesterday been mentioning his own pre-season injury nightmare, during a press conference, when he seriously damaged an ankle during a first friendly game of the season at non-league Cornard in the 1990s.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, another of the U’s summer signings, Sanchez Watt, who had also signed on a two-year deal from Arsenal, did not feature tonight.
Dunne wants to ease winger Watt back into competitive action, following his serious hamstring injury and subsequent operation last season.
- 1 Matchday Recap: All-square as Town and U's share six goals
- 2 Town complete ninth signing as Edmundson joins from Scottish giants
- 3 Teenage girl allegedly raped on village recreation ground, court hears
- 4 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
- 5 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 6 Suffolk postcode sees house prices rise by £100,000 in a year
- 7 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 8 Kenyan school chums meet by 'unbelievable chance' at Suffolk village fete
- 9 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 10 Friends reunited, points to prove and more goals, please - Town face U's
Heybridge took the lead via Ben Newson in the 23rd minute. It was a lead they held until John-Joe O’Toole grabbed a smartly-taken equaliser just before the hour mark.
Drey Wright netted a 72nd minute winner as the two Wrights combined. David Wright was the creator and Drey Wright provided the finish.
U’s starting XI’s
First-half: Cousins, Kent, Eastman, Wilson, O’Donoghue, Izzet, Bean, Eastmond, Massey, Sears, Iberhe.
Second-half: Phillips, David Wright, Okuonghae, Gilbey, Duguid, Bond, O’Toole, Cook, Drey Wright, Olufemi, Morrison.