Elena Baltacha faces Flavia Pennetta
- Credit: PA
Ipswich-based Elena Baltacha will face Italy’s Flavia Pennetta at Wimbledon, on Monday.
Pennetta has defeated multiple Grand Slam singles champions such as Justine Henin, Mary Pierce, Martina Hingis, Amélie Mauresmo, Venus Williams, Victoria Azarenka and Maria Sharapova and won the 2011 Australian Open Doubles title with Gisele Dulko.
Baltacha will be taking part in the ladies’ singles competition for the 12th time and her best year came in 2002, when she reached the third round.
The 29-year-old, who runs her own tennis academy for young girls in Ipswich – based at Ipswich Sports Club – has been handed a wildcard for the event and is in the bottom half of the draw.
She goes to the All England Club in decent form having recently won the AEGON Nottingham Challenge in a warm up to the world famous south London tournament.
You may also want to watch:
British number one and last year’s runner-up, Andy Murray, begins his campaign against Benjamin Becker, the same player he defeated in a recent quarter-finals at Queens.
Baltacha’s Fed Cup team mates Laura Robson and Heather Watson will also be in action against Maria Kirilenko and Madison Keys respectively.
- 1 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 2 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 3 Cook will be looking to complete the puzzle as Town host Millwall in dress rehearsal
- 4 Town Transfer Talk: Ten in, but how many more are on the way?
- 5 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 6 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 7 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 8 Fallen tree partially blocks stretch of A12
- 9 Evans returns to Town side for Millwall clash
- 10 Army helicopter lands in field near Nacton after developing fault