Elena Baltacha makes progress in Prague
British No.1 Elena Baltacha is through to the second round of the $100,000 clay-court ITF event in Prague.
Ipswich-based Baltacha, currently ranked 70, beat Lara Arruabarrena-Vecino (ESP) 6-3 6-1.
“It was probably the best match I’ve played this year and that was a really nice feeling, especially against a good young clay-court player like her,” said Olympic hopeful Baltacha.
The last few months have been a battle, because I’ve been playing well in practice but just not getting the wins. That’s really frustrating but you have to keep working and keep believing.
“It really clicked today though and I just felt really in control all the way through.”
You may also want to watch:
Baltacha faces Urszula Radwanska next and added: “I’ve not played her but I have played a practice set against her before so I know what to expect. She gets very emotional on court but I’m not too worried about that. After today I’ll have a lot more confidence than I did before.”
- 1 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 2 Where are Suffolk’s outstanding schools?
- 3 Warnock and Dijon boss give updates on Town targets Coulson and Celina
- 4 Mapped: Suffolk postcodes with lowest level of Covid cases
- 5 Major former Debenhams store could remain empty until 2023
- 6 Young couple locked up after falling asleep in car containing class A drugs
- 7 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 8 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 9 Blues star looking forward to 'getting down to business'
- 10 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death