Elena Baltcha loses in first round of French Open
Ipswich tennis star Elena Baltacha bowed out of the French Open as the British number one lost in straight sets to US Open champion Samantha Stosur today.
For a while in the opening set, Baltacha managed to trouble world number six Stosur, but after coming back from a break down she then lost seven successive games to suffer a 6-4 6-0 first-round defeat.
Baltacha, 28, said afterwards: “I knew it was going to be a difficult match. I knew as well that if I played really well, maybe she had a bit of an off day, then potentially maybe I would have had a chance (but) I knew I would have to play a very, very big match.
“First set I felt like I was kind of in it; obviously I crawled my way back to 5-4.
“I didn’t particularly play a great service game, but then you’ve got to remember that I did play one of the best clay-court players in the world so it was a big ask.
You may also want to watch:
“Then she went up a couple of levels, a couple of gears, and she was just too good in the second set.”
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 3 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 4 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
- 5 £1m renovation on Suffolk castle will change the appearance
- 6 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 7 Ipswich Town fan banned from Portman Road for racially abusing player
- 8 'I'm very lucky' – Ipswich biker-chef lost arm and hand in A14 crash
- 9 Revealed: The most popular names for babies born in Suffolk in 2020
- 10 21-year-old airlifted to hospital after car crashes into trees