Elmswell Golf Championship winner is unveiled
- Credit: Archant
James O’Doherty crowned a great season of golf when he won the much coveted Elmswell Golf Championship at Stowmarket Golf Club.
He had already won the Stowmarket Club Championship earlier in the summer but his 36 points in challenging conditions on Friday may have even surpassed that performance.
With five birdies the two-handicapper had a brilliant round leaving his nearest competitors, three previous winners, Irene Overman, Dave Bicknell and Ian Hay, four points adrift with 32 points each. James also won the men’s longest drive on the fifth finishing on the fairway level approximately 350 yards from the tee.
The Elmswell Championship has been an annual event for 18 years and this year the event was sponsored by The Elmswell Fox.
The competition is only open to golfers living within the Elmswell boundaries or previous winners that have moved away.
You may also want to watch:
The event was organised by Dave Overman with the best turnout for many years with 31 players and 41 attending the presentation dinner.
In keeping with tradition, 2017 champion, Stuart Harland, presented the trophy to James.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 2 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 4 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 5 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win
- 7 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 8 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 9 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 10 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'