England to face Ukraine, France and Sweden at Euro 2012
ENGLAND will kick off their Euro 2012 campaign against France on June 11 after being drawn against Laurent Blanc’s side, co-hosts Ukraine and Sweden.
England faced France in Euro 2004 and were a goal up with only stoppage time to play before Zinedine Zidane broke Sven-Goran Eriksson’s side’s hearts, scoring two late goals.
England defeated Sweden 1-0 in a friendly last month, but were dumped out of Euro 92 by the hosts when Jan Erikkson and Tomas Brolin cancelled out David Platt’s fourth minute opener. In 2006, England drew 2-2 with the Scandinavians at the World Cup in Germany.
As for Ukraine, England picked up three points up against them in qualifying for last year’s World Cup, winning 2-1 at home but losing 1-0 away.
Elsewhere, Group A features Poland, Greece, Czech Republic and Russia, while Group B sees a potential ‘Group of Death’ with Holland, Germany, Portugal and Denmark all having to face each other.
You may also want to watch:
Group C includes the Republic of Ireland who have not been given an easy draw. They will face holders, Spain, Croatia and Italy.
- 1 13 Fire engines attend blaze at sugar beet factory
- 2 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 3 A14 reopens after one person taken to hospital following crash
- 4 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 5 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 6 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
- 7 Winners and losers: Hollywood ending, Bersant is back, fans get their wish
- 8 Man indecently exposes himself to dog walker
- 9 Affordable homes project proposed for Suffolk village
- 10 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143