Essex 2nd XI comfortably defeat Suffolk
- Credit: Archant
ESSEX 2nd XI enjoyed a comfortable 177-run victory over Suffolk in Sunday’s annual pre-season friendly at Billericay.
Jaik Mickleburgh led the way with 73 as consistent scoring by the top order saw Essex reach 334 for five in their 50 overs.
Mickleburgh and Nick Browne put on 82 for the first wicket and Mickleburgh and Rehan Hassan added 66 for the second. Hassan, who made 66, was then joined by Greg Smith (50 off 61 balls) in a stand worth 105 in just 64 minutes.
Kishen Velani struck four sixes and two fours off just 26 deliveries as he finished undefeated on 48.
Suffolk opener Tom Huggins top-scored with 50 off 81 balls in their reply as leg spinner Tom Craddock claimed figures of 8-1-17-3.
Essex 2nd XI: J Mickleburgh c Mansfield b Rash 73, N Browne c Mansfield b Rees 29, R Hassan c Hunn b Ogden 66, G Smith c Hunn b Ogden 50, K Velani not out 48, T Phillips c Mansfield b Huggins 1, S Imtiaz not out 17. Extras 50. Total (for 5 wkts) 334.
- 1 Police cordon off Stowmarket dentist after break-in
- 2 Will Suffolk have a white Christmas this year?
- 3 25-year-old left eating disorder clinic prior to death on A14
- 4 Watch: Celina's wonder goal against Crewe
- 5 Paramedics called after tree falls on car in east Suffolk
- 6 From Celina to Mariner - the best goals ever scored at Portman Road
- 7 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 8 Triple murder accused appears in court
- 9 The Ipswich Town players who could force their way into Cook's thinking during cup break
- 10 'I thought he was going to Ipswich' - rival boss reveals Blues interest in right-back
Fall: 1-82, 2-148, 3-253, 4-255, 5-259.
Bowling: Hunn 8-0-57-0; Ogden 9-0-79-2; Bishop 7-0-28-0; Rees 4-0-24-1; Swallow 10-1-35-0; Rash 6-0-44-1; Poulson 4-0-48-0; Huggins 2-0-13-1.
Suffolk: T Huggins c Smith b Phillips 50, S Rees c Phillips b Moore 2, M Cull c Phillips b Moore 4, B Shepperson c Beard b Bocking 1, S Guy lbw b Craddock 24, C Swallow c Hassan b Craddock 1, J Bishop b Bocking 22, A Ogden c Imtiaz b Phillips 4, A Mansfield not out 16, T Rash lbw b Craddock 12, M Hunn b Hassan 3. Extras 18. Total 157.
Fall: 1-19, 2-27, 3-34, 4-73, 5-82, 6-100, 7-114, 8-126, 9-147, 10-157.
Bowling: Moore 8-2-27-2; Salisbury 5-1-8-0; Bocking 7-1-32-2; Beard 4-0-34-0; Craddock 8-1-17-3; Phillips 6-2-16-2; Hassan 5.3-0-20-1.
Essex won by 177 runs