Essex face Worcestershire in two-day fixture
ESSEX continue their programme of pre-season warm-up matches with a two-day fixture against Worcestershire starting at The Ford County Ground tomorrow at 11am.
Batting coach Matt Walker is delighted that the squad have another opportunity to engage in competitive action ahead of the start of the County Championship season next week.
“I’m satisfied with the way things have gone in pre-season and at this stage of our preparation,” he said. “Everyone has been working very hard and there is note of confidence and self-belief amongst the squad.
“The match with Worcestershire allows us to play another competitive couple of days’ cricket and for players to push themselves for a place in the side to play Gloucestershire next week.
“There is still a lot of competition for places despite the fact that we have four players who will miss the start of the season because they are overseas.
“A number of our batters have enjoyed some useful time in our friendly matches although they would probably like to have gone on and turned 30s and 40s into bigger scores but everyone has been able to get in and have an innings. Generally I’m happy with the positive way we that are playing.
“This time of the year is always an exciting time just ahead of the new season. We have a good squad with cover in all departments, the batters have shown some good form and our bowling is looking good.”
- 1 Village hall treasurer jailed after stealing cash to help his business
- 2 Push for 4 day work week in Suffolk after company's profits soar 200%
- 3 Road near A14 closed after 'serious' two-vehicle crash
- 4 'Incredible' Downes tipped 'to play at the very top'
- 5 When loans go permanent: Town's hits and misses when keeping hired hands full-time
- 6 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 7 'We thought he could be someone special' - Comolli on McKenna's start in coaching
- 8 Flood alert issued for parts of Suffolk coastline
- 9 Colchester sack Mullins as ex-Town defender takes interim charge of U's
- 10 Walton completes permanent move to Ipswich Town
The gates open at 9.30am and admission is free on both days.