Essex name former England player Anthony McGrath as assistant head coach
- Credit: PA
Former England and Yorkshire batsman Anthony McGrath has been named assistant head coach at Essex.
McGrath has been appointed to assist head coach Chris Silverwood, having spent his entire playing career with home county Yorkshire, making 583 appearances across all three formats of the game.
In addition he made four Test appearances for England, with a top score of 81 coming against Zimbabwe at Chester-le-Street in 2003.
In total he made 14,698 runs in his First Class career, including 35 centuries, and has been working as a player mentor and first XI coach since 2014 as Yorkshire won back-to-back County Championship titles.
Silverwood is delighted to have been able to add McGrath to his coaching team and has backed his new number two to help take the Essex batsmen to the next level.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve known Anthony for a very long time, and he is a great addition to our staff,” Silverwood said.
“He has excellent cricket knowledge, and during his interview it was clear he had a real passion for this job.
- 1 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 2 Car stranded in ditch after crash near Bury St Edmunds
- 3 Town get home draw in FA Cup First Round as ex-Blues head to Sudbury
- 4 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 5 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 6 2,000 patients visit A&E because they are feeling depressed
- 7 North Stander: Nowhere near good enough at this stage of the season
- 8 Woman sexually assaulted near Ipswich Waterfront
- 9 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 10 3,000 children test positive for Covid in Suffolk over 10 day period
“He is a very good coach, and will help our batsmen improve their game. He has experience of working with some of the best batsmen in the country – names such as Bairstow, Root, Ballance, Lyth – so his experience will be invaluable to our players.
“We have a strong batting line up, and I am confident Anthony will complement it perfectly.”