Essex sides progress in FA Cup

THERE were FA Cup victories for Chelmsford City, Heybridge Swifts and Maldon Town in the first qualifying round of this season's competition.

THERE were FA Cup victories for Chelmsford City, Heybridge Swifts and Maldon Town in the first qualifying round of this season's competition.


Chelmsford City 5 Burnham Ramblers 0

CHELMSFORD City eased through to the next round of the FA Cup with victory over Essex Senior League outfit Burnham Ramblers.

You may also want to watch:

City moved in front as early as the fifth minute when Ricky Holmes netted from a tight angle past goalkeeper Dave McCartney.

The hosts went further in front after 12 minutes when Chris Duffy rode a challenge on his way into the penalty box and retained his balance to centre for Jeff Minton to touch in from a yard.

Most Read

Chelmsford retained the ascendancy for the rest of the half and went in three goals up at the break when Lee Protheroe's corner saw Kezie Ibe guide the ball over his shoulder inside the six-yard box and into the net.

Creative forward Ibe was again involved in the first meaningful attack of the second half which resulted in the ball being placed in front of Mario Noto, who had the simple opportunity to finish in the 52nd minute.

The scoring was completed in the 86th minute when substitute Jamie England's delivery from the left benefited from a hefty deflection and sailed past the helpless keeper.

Heybridge Swifts 4 Leyton 3

HEYBRIDGE Swifts put their fans through an emotional rollercoaster on Saturday, eventually grabbing a dramatic winner, having thrown away a three-goal lead.

Swifts took the lead after 39 minutes. Daniel Tenkorang set Danny Gabriel free to down the left, and his cross was intelligently stepped over by Kenny Kennedy to allow Stafford Browne time to sidefoot home from 10 yards.

Heybridge then seemed to have the game wrapped up soon after the break with two quick goals. First Gabriel beat the offside trap to race clear from just inside the Leyton half and score a well taken goal, before minutes later Browne was hauled down in the penalty area and he stepped up to smack home the resultant penalty.

Taking their foot off the gas though, Swifts invited Leyton on and Solomon Henry did well to go clear on the right flank and cross superbly for Mark Gradosielski to head home unchallenged for the visitors.

The game really changed minutes later when Wiles, adjudged to have hauled down Tobi Osotola in the Heybridge penalty area, received the inevitable red card as the last man and Henry converted the penalty.

It was all square with 10 minutes to go as a long-range effort from John-Paul Collier was deflected past Stephen Northwood in the Heybridge goal.

With a replay looming Swifts at last regained some composure and substitute Adam Passfield did well to make time and space on the right and hang a cross for Browne to power home an 89th-minute winner.

Harwich & Parkeston 0 Woodford 0

HARWICH & Parkeston travel to Woodford United for a replay tonight after the two sides played out a goalless draw on Saturday.

An off-the-ball incident between Paul Lamb, Lee Race and half of the Woodford bench in the 30th minute resulted in both players receiving yellow cards and sparked a lively end to the half.

Woodford started the second half the stronger. Goodhall and Lamb were a constant thorn in the side of the Harwich defence and were unlucky on more than one occasion not to take the lead for the Midlands Division One side.

For the most part Harwich seemed devoid of ideas on how to break down a very physical Woodford back four, but after 80 minutes the game sprung to life.

Jimmy Chatters went agonisingly close following a jinxing run from the left for Harwich. Then it was the turn of Calver to hold his head in his hands as a Townes cross flashed across his path with the goal beckoning. With the final whistle overdue, Lazurus looked as though he may just steal the show for Woodford, but a timely intervention by Lee Race blocked the shot in-front of goal.

Mildenhall Town 1 Haverhill Rovers 1

THESE two west Suffolk sides will meet again on Tuesday night following this draw.

In a typical cup tie - fast, robust and exciting, but with very little football on view - numerous stoppages and long ball tactics made this definitely not a classic.

The home side went in front when Taylor was hauled down in the box and Cranfield fired home the spot kick as half time approached.

Haverhill came out more determined in the second half and equalised midway through the half when Salmons fired home, with the assistant seemingly flagging for a penalty.

Saffron Walden 1 Maldon 2

MATT Cutchey bravely headed Maldon Town into the next round of the FA Cup on Saturday.

After Maldon's Steve Wareham had miscued his shot from a couple of yards after 17 minutes, Ridgeons League Division One side Saffron Walden's Spike Bell saw an effort cleared off the line,

Maldon opened the scoring after 24 minutes when Yohance Lewis received the ball on the edge of the box, beat his markers and fired in an excellent shot past the outstretched hands of Kieran Badcock.

The home team out came out and surprised Maldon after the break when a cross from Greg Strong was met by Ben Richards who volleyed home after 53 minutes.

Maldon won it two minutes later though when Ollie Berquez was brought down on the edge of the box and from the resulting free- kick the ball found Cutchey at the far post to head home.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter