Essex woman's fight with car thief
A WOMAN was slashed with a knife in Witham while desperately trying to fight off a car thief in broad daylight.The 29-year-old was returning to her Ford Fiesta which was parked in a car park in Albert Road, at its junction with Cut Throat Lane, at about half past four yesterday afternoon when she was targeted.
By Roddy Ashworth
A WOMAN was slashed with a knife in Witham while desperately trying to fight off a car thief in broad daylight.
The 29-year-old was returning to her Ford Fiesta which was parked in a car park in Albert Road, at its junction with Cut Throat Lane, at about half past four yesterday afternoon when she was targeted.
She got into her car and wound the window down when a man approached and tried to force his way into the vehicle, which was parked in the open just 100 metres from the railway station.
You may also want to watch:
The woman tried to fight him off while kicking, screaming and sounding the car's horn but as the struggle continued she received a deep cut to her hand and realised that the man had a knife.
The victim scrambled out of the purple car, registration number P862 CPC, and the robber drove off in it.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Aluko brace not enough as Blues draw at Cambridge
- 2 Covid vaccine boosters now available at walk in sessions
- 3 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 4 Have you had the 'worst cold ever' that is going round Suffolk?
- 5 'I'll never shut up shop' - Cook on 2-2 draw at Cambridge United
- 6 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 7 New details emerge about diesel spill which closed A14 for 12 hours
- 8 MoD warns about late-night Apache training
- 9 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-2 Cambridge draw
- 10 Driver presses ahead with police complaint despite losing speeding trial
The woman was treated on scene by ambulance and is now recovering at home.
Dc Steve Bennett, of Witham CID, said: “Car thefts with this level of violence are incredibly rare.
“It is also very unusual for incidents like this to happen in such populated areas during daylight hours.
“It was a very nasty robbery and the woman was lucky to receive relatively minor injuries so it is important to trace the suspect as quickly as possible.”
Anyone who witnessed the incident, has any information that may assist the investigation or knows the location of the car is asked to contact detectives on 01376 501212.