Ex-Colchester United star Scott McGleish still playing at 42
Former Colchester United marksman, Scott McGleish, who first played for the U’s more than 20 years ago, is still not ready to hang up his boots.
McGleish was an interested spectator during Tuesday night’s Ryman Premier fixture at Summers Lane in the London Borough of Barnet – his home territory – watching hosts Wingate & Finchley inflict a rare defeat on Leiston.
Even though he is now aged 42, McGleish still occasionally turns out for nearby Wealdstone, for whom he is player-coach.
McGleish has been with the Stones since the summer of 2014, playing against his former Colchester club in the FA Cup only two years ago.
He is on the bench most weeks, and was back in the starting line-up to ensure a passage through the FA Trophy against Wingate & Finchley only last month – the Stones edged through 2-1.
You may also want to watch:
“I don’t train any more, because I take training!” revealed McGleish.
“But it’s what is in your head that counts, and I’m still a substitute most weeks.”
- 1 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 2 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 3 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 4 Two Suffolk homes 30 miles apart struck by lightning
- 5 Additional measures including face masks to be reintroduced to Suffolk schools
- 6 A14 roundabout lanes remain closed as burst water main repaired
- 7 Stu says: He's ours now! The pick-pocket and cheese-gate - Town's 4-0 win
- 8 'We were shamed'... Pompey boss Cowley offers no excuses
- 9 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 10 Mike Bacon: Starting to walk the walk, I'm liking the way we move
McGleish played on loan for the U’s in 1996, and then permanently from 2001 to ‘04.