Ex-Ipswich Town striker Bent poised to turn out for Cornard United
- Credit: PA
Former Ipswich Town star, Marcus Bent, is poised to make his debut for Suffolk non-league club Cornard United next weekend.
Bent signed for Thurlow Nunn League Division One North side Cornard ahead of their 2-1 home defeat at the hands of Sheringham on Saturday, and is expected to make his debut in the away fixture at second-placed Downham Town next Saturday (January 11).
It has been a major coup for the Ards to sign veteran front-man Bent, who played in the Premier League during a distinguished career.
Now aged 41, Bent, who has had financial problems in recent years, will be gearing up to play in front of crowds of less than 100, in Step Six of non-league football.
In addition to making 73 appearances (61 in the league) for Ipswich Town, between 2001 and 2004, scoring 23 goals (21 in the league), Bent played for the likes of Blackburn Rovers, Everton, Sheffield United and Crystal Palace, as well as playing for England Under-21s at the start of his career.
You may also want to watch:
Bent was declared bankrupt last year, having retired from professional football in 2012.
He was on the books of non-league side Wick during the 2017-18 season, but never made an appearance for them.
- 1 13 Fire engines attend blaze at sugar beet factory
- 2 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 3 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 4 Affordable homes project proposed for east Suffolk village
- 5 A14 reopens after one person taken to hospital following crash
- 6 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
- 7 Pub changes 'offensive' Halloween display after social media criticism
- 8 Man indecently exposes himself to dog walker in Cavendish
- 9 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 10 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
Cornard are currently down in 13th position in the table, having only won eight league games this season.
Throughout his 17-year career as a professional footballer, Bent made 573 appearances and scored 113 goals.