‘It was a fantastic performance’ – U’s boss McGreal after draw at County
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Colchester United boss John McGreal described today’s 0-0 draw at title favourites Notts County as a “fantastic performance.”
The U’s came closest to scoring when defender Tom Eastman’s curling shot hit the bar in the 75th minute.
The Essex visitors had other chances as well, but this was still a good point against a side fancied by most to earn promotion this term.
“I thought we were excellent, especially in the second half,” enthused boss John McGreal.
“We had the better chances, and overall it was a great performance. I thought we were fantastic, against a very strong, physical side.
“We hit the bar, which was the result of a great move. It fell to Tom (Eastman) on his left foot and it looked a goal all the way, from there we were standing. Unfortunately, it hit the bar, while another of Tom’s efforts from two years ago at Hartlepool went in.
“A point is the next best thing to a win, and in the key areas we shaded it.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town out of Trophy after shootout loss
- 2 Under-used council land to become sites for 3,000 homes
- 3 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Norfolk
- 4 Weather warning issued as Suffolk could see snow fall tomorrow
- 5 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 6 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
- 7 New animal feed mill planned for Bury St Edmunds
- 8 Flood alerts issued for Suffolk coast ahead of expected high tide
- 9 Plans submitted for Suffolk equestrian centre's new home
- 10 New Ed Sheeran Christmas song with Elton John out this week
“Notts County put lots of balls into our box, in the last 15 minutes of the second half, so we tweaked it and we stood up well in the second half,” added McGreal.
Kane Vincent-Young was not in the U’s 18-man squad, after the wing-back failed to sign a new contract on the eve of the game.
McGreal revealed: Kane Vincent-Young did not sign, so we had to work on a different shape in training. We had to change it last minute on Friday.
“Kane was in the building on Friday and was close to signing, but on the advice he was given by his representatives, he has not signed a contract.
“Potentially, Kane is not part of my plans now.”