The Kane Vincent-Young saga, in the eyes of U’s boss McGreal
- Credit: Pagepix Ltd
Kane Vincent-Young is unlikely to be a part of Colchester United boss John McGreal’s plans, after the 22-year-old failed to a sign a new contract just 24 hours before the season opener at Notts County.
Vincent-Young’s long-term future has been up in the air all summer, with the full-back resisting the temptation to sign a new deal with the U’s, on the advice of his agent.
The ex-Tottenham trainee embarked on a pre-season tour with Ipswich Town earlier in the summer, but that interest later waned, since when the Vincent-Young saga has rumbled on.
McGreal confirmed: “Kane hasn’t signed.
“It’s one where he and his representatives were close to signing yesterday (Friday). Kane was in the building ready to sign, but on the advice he has been given, he’s been told not to sign.
You may also want to watch:
“So as far as we know at this time, he hasn’t signed a contract, and he was not registered to play this afternoon.
“The next best thing was to get players in who wanted to play, and you’ve seen that with the XI who were out there. I thought it was a fantastic performance.
- 1 13 Fire engines attend blaze at sugar beet factory
- 2 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 3 A14 reopens after one person taken to hospital following crash
- 4 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 5 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 6 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
- 7 Winners and losers: Hollywood ending, Bersant is back, fans get their wish
- 8 Man indecently exposes himself to dog walker
- 9 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 10 Drink driver found slumped at wheel after partying until 7am
“Kane potentially might not be figuring in my plans for the rest of the season, yes. It’s a shame, because you look at what Kane has done and how we have developed him into a player.
“I think Kane wants to sign, it’s just getting together with the representative and reaching a conclusion.
“It was a body blow, but I’ve had a few body blows over the last two years, with all the injuries.
“We had done a lot of work on our shape during the week, and then had to change it at midday after the registration time had passed.
“We changed the system of play at the last minute, with Kane obviously not signing.
“So credit to all the boys, to have not worked on that shape – obviously we have worked on it in pre-season – but with an important game like this we had to change it last minute on Friday, and they put in an unbelievable performance,” added McGreal.