Ex-U’s keeper returns to Essex
FORMER Colchester United keeper Scott Barrett, a hero of the U’s double-winning side of 20 years ago, has been appointed assistant manager at Thurrock.
Barrett will assist Thurrock boss Mark Stimson at the Ryman League club.
Keeper Barrett, who made nearly 500 appearances in the Football League and Conference, with Wolves, Stoke, Colchester, Gillingham, Cambridge United and Leyton Orient, had been assistant manager at League Two outfit Barnet.
He is best remembered for scoring a last-minute winner for the U’s at Conference promotion rivals Wycombe Wanderers on September 28, 1991.
Barrett was an ever-present as the U’s went on to win both the Conference and the FA Trophy that season. He had also been ever-present the previous campaign,
You may also want to watch:
Now aged 49, Barrett had been an assistant to Stimson at Grays Athletic, Stevenage Borough, Gillingham and Barnet, before teaming up again with the ex-Newcastle and Portsmouth defender at Thurrock.
Thurrock were relegated from the Blue Square South to the Ryman League after the most recent season, after which Stimson was appointed the new boss.
- 1 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 2 Family pay tribute to former Suffolk headteacher who has passed away
- 3 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 4 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 5 Two Suffolk homes 30 miles apart struck by lightning
- 6 Stu says: He's ours now! The pick-pocket and cheese-gate - Town's 4-0 win
- 7 A14 roundabout lanes remain closed as burst water main repaired
- 8 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 9 Additional measures including face masks to be reintroduced to Suffolk schools
- 10 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout