Exclusive: Video - Chelsea midfielder John Swift and free agent Sean St Ledger set to sign
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town are set to sign England Under-20 midfielder John Swift from Chelsea ahead of the ‘emergency’ loan window shutting tomorrow.
The EADT and Ipswich Star understands the 19-year-old has been training with the Blues this week and is set to be brought in as cover for injured duo Jonny Williams (thigh) and Kevin Bru (ankle), both recently ruled out for up to a month.
Swift, who has made one senior appearance for Chelsea, joined Championship side Rotherham on a season-long loan back in the summer. He made four appearances for the Millers in August, but then dropped out of the side and, as a result, both clubs agreed to terminate the deal earlier this month.
The 6ft youngster can play in a traditional midfield role or as a No.10, with creativity and goalscoring his key attributes.
Meanwhile, the EADT and Ipswich Star understands that versatile defender Sean St Ledger will sign as a free agent until the start of January.
You may also want to watch:
The 29-year-old, who has been without a club since being released by Leicester in the summer, played for Town’s Under-21s on Monday night. Having proved his fitness, the 37-cap Republic of Ireland international has been offered a short-term deal.
Able to play anywhere across the back, the experienced defender will act as cover for the regular four of Luke Chambers, Christophe Berra, Tommy Smith and Tyrone Mings.
- 1 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 2 The stats which put Bonne top of the League One charts and firmly on course for a very rare Ipswich Town milestone
- 3 Suffolk families stunned after homes transformed on Changing Rooms
- 4 Channel 4's Changing Rooms comes to Bury St Edmunds tonight
- 5 Teen among two arrested in armed police incident
- 6 Villagers call to stop 'hazardous' 5-week road closure with huge diversions
- 7 Suffolk coast named one of top UK destinations for autumn
- 8 Donacien on his Ipswich Town future and why he wears the No.44 shirt
- 9 Man left with serious injuries after late-night attack in town centre
- 10 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
Berra will serve a one-match suspension when the Blues take on Charlton at The Valley on Saturday, while left-back Tyrone Mings (dead leg) is a doubt.
Jonathan Parr and academy graduate Matt Clarke are current back-up options for Blues boss Mick McCarthy.