FA Cup round-up: Chelmsford earn a replay as Sudbury, Ipswich Wanderers and Lowestoft bow out of the FA Cup

AFC Sudbury are out of the FA Cup

AFC Sudbury are out of the FA Cup - Credit: Archant

See here for a round-up of all the FA Cup action involving our local team.

FA Cup second qualifying round Eastbourne Borough 2 AFC Sudbury 1

AFC Sudbury’s FA Cup run ended on the south coast when the hosts, who play two levels above them, scored a goal in each half to progress to the next round.

The visitors looked threatening early on and twice Luke Callander went close with efforts that just failed to hit the target.

Eastbourne broke the deadlock after 34 minutes with their first serious effort on target.

You may also want to watch:

From a break down the Eastbourne right the ball was squared to Nathaniel Pinney and the home striker scored with a low shot from just outside the box that went in off a post.

The second half was only a minute old when Eastbourne doubled their lead.

Most Read

Pinney twisted and turned in the box and scored his second from close range.

Eastbourne also had an effort cleared off the line before Bantick scored a consolation for Sudbury deep into stoppage time with a break-away goal.

Enfield Town 1 Ipswich Wanderers 0

Wanderers dropped out of the cup after being beaten by a single goal away to Enfield.

The home side’s decisive strike came in the first half after 23 minutes.

Bobby Devyne was responsible for the goal which ultimately saw his side go through to the next round, with Wanderers unable to muster a response in front of the 342-strong crowd.

Chelmsford City 0 Ebbsfleet 0

The Clarets have to do it all again tomorrow after being held to a 0-0 draw by visiting Ebbsfleet.

Mark Hawkes was justifiably delighted with his side’s defensive performance as they faced a Fleet side who are now unbeaten in 12 matches this season.

It was a back-to-the-walls performance for the Clarets though and while they were pegged back for most of the match, Daryl McMahon’s Ebbsfleet failed to capitalise.

Robbie Willmott and Jordan Parkes both went close as the hosts struggled to get any shots on target.

Chelmsford will now travel to Stonebridge Road for a 7.45pm kick-off in the reply tomorrow and will have to put in a more attacking performance if they are to get a result.

Bognor Regis Town 2 Lowestoft Town 1

Danny Crow’s tap in for the visitors was sandwiched in between Bognor’s goals as the two sides battled for a place in the next round of the cup.

It was the visitors who were carrying the early threat and Jake Reed skewed an effort wide from close range in the eighth minute.

The first half was a scrappy affair overall though and it reach the break with neither side having taken the advantage.

In fact the goal action did not come until the last quarter of an hour.

The home side’s Dan Beck gave his team the lead with 14 minutes left on the clock after Ollie Pearce had sent in a cross from the byline.

Two goalbound efforts were blocked before Beck managed to get his boot to the loose ball and hammer it home.

With eight minutes left Lowestoft got themselves back into the tie through Crow who was unmarked in the box and comfortably able to tap in Jack Ainsley’s cross.

It was not to be for the Suffolk side though and almost straight from the resulting restart Jason Prior flicked the ball on to Pearce.

With an assist already to his name the Bognor player slotted his shot past Lowestoft ‘keeper Harry Burgoygne to regain the lead for his team. Five minutes of added time was not enough for Lowestoft to earn a reply.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus