FA CUP ROUND-UP: Leiston, Bury Town, Needham Market, Ipswich Wanderers, Felixstowe & Walton and Hadleigh United

Charlie Turner (keeper) denies Craig Parker of Leiston. Gary Brown

Charlie Turner (keeper) denies Craig Parker of Leiston. Gary Brown - Credit: Archant

Reports from our sides’ games in the FA Cup at the weekend.

George Clarke heads the ball for Needham Market. Denis Reardon

George Clarke heads the ball for Needham Market. Denis Reardon - Credit: Archant

First qualifying round Haverhill Borough 0 Leiston 2

A brave defensive display was not enough to allow Haverhill Borough to produce a cup upset, with opponents Leiston producing two moments of class to defeat their lower-league opponents.

Leiston dominated possession throughout the game, with Craig Parker’s header hitting the bar, following a long throw, after just 10 minutes.

With the half hour approaching, Parker broke the Borough offside trap, only to see his lob over home goalkeeper Charlie Turner land on the top of the goal. Turner then produced a fine save as the ball was slipped through to Joe Francis on the left hand edge of the penalty area following a blocked clearance.

Sam Newson celebrates scoring for Needham Market at Cambridge City. Denis Reardon

Sam Newson celebrates scoring for Needham Market at Cambridge City. Denis Reardon - Credit: Archant

You may also want to watch:

Turner then had to be at full stretch to deny Francis again, before Tom Winter opened the scoring on 42 minutes with a neat side-foot finish from Michael Brothers’ cross.

Borough’s best spell of the game came early in the second half. First, Luke Latham’s shot was blocked by Scott Mitchell, before an inch-perfect through ball from Ryan Geoghegan found Ryan Weaver one-on-one with Leiston goalkeeper Danny Gay, who produced a sprawling save.

Most Read

Blake Saker then deflected an effort inches wide of his own post, before Borough fell further behind after 67 minutes when Mitchell beat Charlie Turner with an inch-perfect free-kick from the edge of the area.

Leiston had further opportunities to extend their lead, with Joe Jefford heading against the bar on 73 minutes, before Turner was forced into a further save from a Parker volley as time wound down.

Felixstowe & Walton's Rhys Barber heads away from Tyler Campbell. Stan Baston

Felixstowe & Walton's Rhys Barber heads away from Tyler Campbell. Stan Baston - Credit: Archant

Centre-back Errol Durell was also required to hack the ball clear as Winter beat Turner.

Haverhill could hold their heads up high against opposition three leagues above them.

Cambridge City 2

Needham Market 4

Needham Market turned in a magnificent performance to record an even better result against Cambridge City on Saturday to progress into the Second Qualifying Round on the FA Cup.

Mark Morsley’s men seem to like this competition after coming so close to beating Cambridge City’s rivals United, now a Football League club, in the Fourth Qualifying Round last season.

The Marketmen started the brighter and got their reward in the 23rd minute when Sam Newson deftly lobbed the advancing keeper, before Ryan Crisp added a second 12 minutes later when he let fly with a left-foot shot that hammered into the net.

Southern Premier League high-flyers Cambridge fought back with Danny Kelly scoring a free-kick that nestled into the top corner, with Josh Beech also firing in a swerving effort just inside the far post to draw the hosts level.

Not to be deterred, Needham re-evaluated and super-sub Ace Howell danced his way into the box before steering his effort home.

The tireless Newson then sent Needham into raptures with a clinical fourth, overcoming two challenges before curling home, on what was a great day for the Step Four club.

Romford 1

Bury Town 0

Jamie Dicks’ 63rd-minute goal saw Ryman North Division Romford overcome Ryman Premier Division’s Bury Town in the FA Cup yesterday.

Ben Chenery’s men are yet to win a game on the road this season with Dicks’ single goal mid-way through the second period resigning them to another defeat.

Bury started fairly brightly as Remi Garrett saw his flick-on go close, before exciting new signing Kye Ruel volleyed past the post from afar after a great solo run.

The Blues have scored just four goals so far this season – and that problem was often highlighted in the first half as they failed to take their chances.

Romford, on the other hand, got their chance mid-way through the half and made no mistake as Dicks smashed home in the aftermath of a scrambled corner-kick.

Try as the might, Bury never really threatened again, and slumped to a disappointing defeat against lower-league opposition.

Wingate & Finchley 2

Ipswich Wanderers 2

Ipswich Wanderers turned in a superb performance to grab a draw at high-flying Ryman Premier side Wingate & Finchley on Saturday.

The result sees Wanderers host Wingate in a replay at Humber Doucy Lane this Wednesday (7.45pm KO) – and deservedly so.

The favourites started the stronger and young keeper Jack Spurling had to be alert to keep Knight and Weatherstone at bay in quick succession, but Paris Tuwizana also went close for the visitors.

Wingate continued to press and Weatherstone opened the scoring when he took advantage of some hesitancy in the Wanderers defence to net from close-range.

Spurling produced a sterling save moments into the second half as he turned Tejan-Sie’s effort onto the crossbar, and that proved to be crucial as in the 51st minute Wanderers drew level after some superb tenacious attacking from Craig Jennings and Jack Severy saw Paul Seward fire home.

Wingate regained the lead seven minutes later through Knight from the penalty spot after Jennings was harshly penalised for a high boot, but Glenn Read’s men then showed no fear against opposition two steps above themselves as Tuwizana’s determination saw him race onto a Luke Read through ball and poke the ball under the advancing Metcalfe in the 80th minute.

Wanderers then survived a late onslaught from the hosts with Shane Wardley clearing off the line, before young Spurling pulled off an exceptional save to deny McCluskey from close-range right at the death to secure a replay.

Enfield Town 5

Felixstowe and Walton 0

The Seasiders’ FA Cup trail came to an abrupt end at the impressive Queen Elizabeth II Stadium against their Ryman Premier Division opponents who grabbed the early initiative and never looked back after Nathan Livings drilled in a low 22-yard shot after just 15 minutes to give his side the lead.

Missing three key players, the Seasiders were on the back foot for the majority of the game and debutant goalkeeper Adam Dawson was kept busy against a powerful front duo of Liam Hope and Corey Whitley, who is reportedly on the radar of both Stevenage and Reading.

The Seasiders looked to have weathered the early storm, battling away bravely, but were dealt a major blow one minute into added-on time at the end of the half when Mark Kirby rose to head Campbell’s corner home and leave Enfield with a relaxing two-goal cushion.

Two second-half penalties conceded by midfielder Ryan Clark saw him collect two yellow cards and an early bath with Hope making no mistake from the spot.

Hope made it five late on to complete his hat-trick with a fierce volley to send his side into the Second Qualifying Round – leaving the Seasiders to regroup ahead of some tough league games.

Billericay Town 4

Hadleigh United 0

Two goals in the opening nine minutes saw Hadleigh’s cup exit as good as decided early on.

A Hadleigh corner-kick after five minutes was cleared and the ensuing breakaway saw Glenn Poole lob in the opener.

Four minutes later, Steve Sheehan headed home number two before home keeper Billy Lumley saved well from Duane Wright with his trailing leg to deny Hadleigh a goal in the 34th minute.

Chris Benjamin made it 3-0 after 37 minutes with the final goal coming from Ricky Sappleton a couple of minutes before the end.

In stoppage time, Gavin Crane and Wright were both just inches away from scoring a consolation goal.

Fellow Thurlow Nunn Premier Division duo Mildenhall Town and Newmarket Town also exited the FA Cup as they lost to Wroxham (3-1) and Histon (3-0) respectively. Norwich United however progressed after a narrow 1-0 victory over Wisbech Town.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter