FA Cup round-up: wins for Stowmarket, Woodbridge, Framlingham, Clacton, Stanway, Halstead and Harwich
- Credit: Archant
There were some fine results for a selection of Suffolk and North-East Essex sides in the extra preliminary round of the FA Cup, held over the weekend.
FRAMLINGHAM TOWN had enjoyed a head start on the rest by recording a 3-1 win at Hackney Wick on Friday night. It was evenly poised at 1-1 early on until goals from Danny Smith (26) and Cyrus Thorpe (65) saw the Suffolk visitors through to the next round, where they will be on the road again at Basildon.
A hat-trick from Josh Mayhew was the highlight of STOWMARKET TOWN'S 6-0 thrashing of hosts Clapton. Christy Finch bagged a brace and Joe Jefford scored the other.
FC CLACTON notched an impressive 3-0 home win over St Margaretsbury. Mekhil McKenzie scored early on, before second-half headers by Jack Clowsley (68) and Chris Ribchester (88) sealed the win.
STANWAY ROVERS were 2-1 winners at Hullbridge Sports. An in-form Jordan Blackwell gave Stanway a 16th minute lead, which was doubled by Tom Holdstock on 52 minutes. Timonthy Monsheju pulled a goal back via a penalty (82).
You may also want to watch:
Jerome Kelsey netted the winner, following Aaron Churchyard's strong run, to secure a 1-0 home win for WOODBRIDGE TOWN over Coggeshall United, while goals from Cook, Munday and Vincent wrapped up a 3-1 win for HALSTEAD TOWN away at Sawbridgesworth Town.
HARWICH & PARKESTON beat Ilford 2-1, thanks to goals by Kevin Coyle and Jordan Heath.
- 1 Town in talks to sign Barnsley forward Chaplin
- 2 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
- 3 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 4 Ipswich Town appoint new strength and conditioning coach
- 5 Ipswich target Jacobs on his Town talks and chances of a Portman Road move
- 6 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- 7 'He's a proper footballer... hopefully he can stay around us' - praise for Town teenager Humphreys
- 8 Road closed after lorry crashes into tree as one person is trapped inside
- 9 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
- 10 Mike Bacon: This Ipswich team has Paul Cook's style stamped all over it
NEWMARKET TOWN rallied from a 2-0 deficit to draw 2-2 at home to Arlesey Town. Jack Watson (penalty) and Joe Robinson scored in the second half to force a replay on Tuesday evening.
But there was no joy for HADLEIGH UNITED, who were beaten 2-0 at London Colney. George Brinkman and Loren Maxwell were the scorers.
MILDENHALL TOWN suffered their third straight defeat of the season, losing 4-1 at Biggleswade FC. Lee Northfield, Alex Marsh, Sean McMonagle and Lawrie Marsh were the Biggleswade marksmen.
HAVERHILL ROVERS were hammered 6-1 at home by Colney Heath. Their consolation goal was scored by Kieran Michaels when the score was already 0-5.
LONG MELFORD will replay this week after their 0-0 draw away at Southend Manor.