FA Trophy: Bury get through, Sudbury have to do it all again and Witham’s run ends

Remi Garrett scored Bury's winner

Remi Garrett scored Bury's winner - Credit: Sarah Lucy brown

A round-up of all our local sides’ involved in the FA Trophy this weekend.

Preliminary Round Faversham Town 0 Bury Town 1

Remi Garrett was the match-winner for Bury as the Suffolk side progressed.

Bury started well with Tevan Allen and Ollie Hughes playing some intricate passing, ending with Bradley Barber blasting his shot straight at William Godmon.

The Blues almost went behind on 40 minutes when Joe Lester broke through the defence and looked certain to score, but Neil O’Sullivan rushed out and blocked the danger with a solid stop.

You may also want to watch:

Hughes had a great chance early in the second half, but Godmon pulled off a stunning one-handed save.

Faversham were reduced to ten men on 53 minutes when John Scarborough was sent off for sliding in from behind on Hughes in the box, but Justin Miller saw his spot-kick saved.

Most Read

James Paterson had to be alert to clear Liam King’s shot off the line, but Bury finally made the extra man count on 77 minutes when Paterson’s driving run up the wing found Alex Steed, who played the ball across the box for Garrett to slot home.

Barton Rovers 1 AFC Sudbury 1

The final whistle was effectively half-time in Saturday’s game as each side scored a goal apiece to force a replay at the Wardale Williams Stadium tomorrow (7.45), the winners of which will travel to Hendon in the next round.

Sudbury started brightly with Sam Bantick and Jordan Blackwell going close, before the deadlock was broken after 15 minutes, when a corner was only cleared to Ben Robinson, whose ball back into the box was headed home by Ryan Henshaw at the far post.

From then on, the hosts upped their play and they levelled after 28 minutes after Ollie Bowles in the Sudbury goal made a brilliant diving save to keep out Connor Vincent’s drive. From the resulting corner Jason Blackett headed home the equaliser.

The hosts failed to make the most of other opportunities before the break and in the second half both sides cancelled each other out to force a replay tomorrow.

Witham Town 2 Herne Bay 4

Witham Town have now been knocked out of two major cup competitions in eight days, despite having three new players in the team for this game.

Herne Bay took the lead after 24 minutes when James Torner took advantage of a misunderstanding in the home defence to fire home.

Substitute Elliot Cutts put them further ahead after 61 minutes, but soon afterwards Lewis Godbold pulled on back as the goals began to flow.

Liam Quinn scored from close range for the visitors but Witham scored again, Godbold on target.

Witham now thought they had a fighting chance for a draw, but with all the Witham players in attack for a free-kick, the ball was cleared to Danny Williams to break away and score to put the final result beyond doubt.

There was more luck for fellow Essex side Heybridge Swifts, however as Jody Brown got off to the perfect start in his second stint at the club.

Two-one winners over Aylesbury United, Joshua Fagbohun, who was later sent off, and William Hunt were the scorers.

Close-by rivals Maldon & Tiptree were narrowly defeated 3-2 by Ramsgate in a terrific encounter, while Ryman North side Brightlingsea Regent will host Thamesmead Town in a Tuesday night replay after a 1-1 draw.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter