FA Vase round-up: Hadleigh United and Ipswich Wanderers in seventh heaven

Hadleigh United's Marley Spindler

Hadleigh United's Marley Spindler - Credit: Archant

A round-up of the weekend’s FA Vase action, involving our local sides.

Mark Goldfinch (6) hits the bar for Ipswich Wanderers

Mark Goldfinch (6) hits the bar for Ipswich Wanderers - Credit: Archant

Hadleigh United 7 Eton Manor 0

Hadleigh United carried far too much power for an Eton Manor side who had their goalkeeper sent off just before the interval.

Goalkeeper Joe Simmonds saw red after conceding a penalty kick, which was converted by Danny Thrower.

At that point, Hadleigh were already two goals ahead through Scott Chaplin and Marley Spindler

Ipswich Wanderers' Nathan Speed (right) celebrates with team mates

Ipswich Wanderers' Nathan Speed (right) celebrates with team mates - Credit: Archant

In the second half, replacement ‘keeper Jack Southward made a number of saves as Hadleigh dominated proceedings.

Chaplin scored twice more to complete his hat-trick, before 17-year-old George Mrozeck scored twice in the closing stages.

Most Read

Halstead 1 Haverhill Rovers 0

After a good result in midweek, Haverhill Rovers made the short trip to Halstead looking to build on that, with a win in the FA Vase.

Rovers were bright early, Longley’s heavy touch running through to goalkeeper Luke Banner, before Halstead scored.

It was from a corner that Halstead scored, lapse Rovers defending allowing a free header that went in via the underside of the bar.

After a scrappy spell from Rovers, they finally started to pass the ball with a purpose and created two good chances through Alleyne and Baker.

Halstead aimed to frustrate Haverhill by putting men behind the ball in the second half, and picked up a number of cautions, including a red card for Elkins.

Ipswich Wanderers 7 London Bari 0

Wanderers coasted into the next round after a five-goal salvo in the last 30 minutes of this FA Vase tie and now look forward to a home tie against Clapton in the next round.

Wanderers took the lead on 24 minutes with Nathan Speed scoring his first goal for the club. Mackenzie and Holland combined before releasing Speed whose low drive had too much power for Fallana in the visitors’ goal.

On 45 minutes the home side doubled their advantage when a shot from the edge of the area by Bradlaugh was blocked by Fallana and Jennings was there to tap the ball home from close range.

Wanderers comfortably limited the danger from the visitors in the second half and on 71 minutes they added a third when a defence-splitting pass from Holland found sub Deacon who slotted the ball past the advancing keeper. Within three minutes it was 4-0 when, following a foul on Holland, Bradlaugh curled a free kick into the top corner of the net.

The visitors were shellshocked and Deacon added his second and the Wanderers’ fifth a few minutes later.

Deacon then crossed for Goldfinch whose initial effort was blocked but the Wanderers defender reacted quickest to fire home and the final goal saw sub Severy volley home.

Brantham Athletic 1 Sawbridgeworth Town 0

Both sides went forward from the first whistle with Ollie Mann going close for the home team and Sawbridgeworth’s Jason Todd seeing good strikes at goal by two good keepers.

Brantham’s first real chance came after six minutes when Ollie Mann crossed a ball for Sean Gunn to latch onto and Sean’s first time strike beat the keeper but hit the crossbar. Both sides went forward in numbers and both created good chances which were taken by two top class goalkeepers.

The only goal of the game came after 39 minutes when another pin-point class from Mann picked out Sean Gunn who put it into the back of the net. Both sides had chances in the second half but the Brantham back four and keeper Bradbrook made telling tackles to keep their opponents out.

Long Melford 3 Cornard United 1

Despite a gutsy fight by Cornard, Melford eventually grabbed a deserved victory.

The visitors took a sixth-minute lead when Ezra Drann fired home.

Melford responded eight minutes later, Jamie Griffiths scoring, before the same player hit the post and his team-mate, Steve Adams headed two chances wide.

Tom Lampshire put efforts wide of the Melford goal and the Villagers grabbed quick-fire goals from Matt Hayden and Griffiths.

Welwyn Garden City 1 Haverhill Borough 0

David Parkinson’s goal in the 119th minute saw Haverhill Borough depart the FA Vase.

Borough dominated much of the possession in the first half, but failed to create many clear cut opportunities.

Both teams had a couple of opportunities in the first half, Ben Bradley and Ryan Swallow going the closest for the visitors.

As the game entered extra time, tempers became heated, and after Turner produced a magnificent save to deny Kersey’s point blank header, Arnott was dismissed following an altercation with Gareth Thomas.

Kieran O’Neill then had the visitors’ best chance, firing a powerful shot on goal which Croft managed to block with his legs.

There was little Borough goalkeeper Turner could do in the final minute as Parkinson sent a powerful shot into the corner of the goal.

Tower Hamlets 1 Whitton United 3 (played at Whitton)

Goals from Lewis Berry, James Burnett and Gianfranco Mallardo saw Whitton United progress to the next round of the Vase after a comfortable 3-1 win over Tower Hamlets.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter